CEC TL51X

ayt999

got a new transport to go along with the CEC DA53 dac. the build seems pretty nice (for a sub $1000 component that is) and so far I like the features and layout.

it uses a belt-driven CD transport and comes with AES/EBU, optical, coaxial, and superlink (CEC's proprietary output using a d-sub 9-pin connector) outputs.

haven't used it too much, and I don't have much equipment to use it with until I get back to the states (currently only have a Grace 901 to use as the dac and amp), but so far the sound is nice and seems to be a good complement to the dac.

I'll put up pictures of it and some impressions later.

I've read a review about the CEC TL51X, I believe. I think they recently released an updated model called the TL51XR, but I am not sure. I know that some site on the net is selling them around a grand, but it is the 220V version. I checked the 110V and I believe it is nearly $640 more. I have read very good things about this particular/similar player.

I am interested to hear your impressions.

the TL51X is a transport. the TL51XR is a complete CD player with DAC. ;) both are current CEC models.

combining the TL51X transport and the DA53 dac seems to produce the same features as the TL51XR player, although with the former you don't get the superlink digital connection between the transport and dac (which the TL51XR uses). not sure whether the superlink connection produces a noticable improvement in performance making the standalone better than the transport / dac combination, but I do want to use the dac with other sources (the TL51XR doesn't have digital inputs), and this way I can easily change the dac with another type if I want.