Planning on picking up the ATH-W1000s or the ATH-AD1000PRMs... or something else?

Chacranajxy

the HD650s sound perfectly pleasant out of regular ol' receiver headphone jacks.
I'll just register my (ongoing) skepticism and shut up, then.

See if these things "scale like a bastard", then the reverse is also true, neh? Chacranajxy -- what 'scaling' means is that the better upstream components -- amp, source, music, cables, etc. -- you put in front of the headphone, the better it sounds. I don't know if the HD650 scales like a bastard, but I've heard it does.

they do scale like a bastard, but they sound okay out of lesser gear, too, which is, after all, what most people will be using them with.

Agreed, I was using them out of my iPod yesterday in a moment of total laziness and they were fine. Not the headphones I know and love, but fine. It's not like the frequency response magically changed into a completely different headphone or something.

Maybe I'm the only one who really does like the D-5k. As always, I put the caveat that I only listen to classical music, but in mastering my own recording (anyone here own a record company?) I found them to be surprisingly accurate as headphones go.