Stacker II

Guest sacd lover

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sachu
that's what I wanted to hear :D

Now, how to squeeze a B22, DynaFET and EHHA in one case.... must find huge case with dividers.

hahah...yeah taht would be some amplifier to lug around.. :P

about to send in my BOM to Jeff for the EHHA

Cool.

I figure it'd be easier to lug one amp rather than three as long as I fit it with some big-ass carry handles. Mind you, it's not like those three together would weigh much, just need to be careful with spacing and ventilation. I reckon one of those bigger dissipante boxes or similar should do the job.

Guest sachu

Yeah..if you are going to be using standard BOM heatsinks then it would be easier i suppose..However, if you want to use bigger off board heat sinks, then you need to get more creative..not that you have any problem there..:P

I am interpreting this 3-in-1 idea as smeg and about as useful as the classic lubricant :palm:

Using a single S22 makes sense but will limit the use of any one amp at a time. Also bear in mind that the EHHA has tubes which need a heater supply - a simple regulated supply will do although it was proposed to use the sigma 11 for this purpose.

I should also qualify my earlier statement of my preference over my SOHA II = my SOHA II was a very early proto and significant changes were made to both the proto and the final release, thus mine may sound different to the version that is now in common circulation.

..dB

Nope, perfectly serious.

I need to keep box count and wires to a minimum. I will only be using one amp at a time and that will also cut down costs significantly as I'm going to have 3 amps that ideally need a s-11 so to me it all makes perfect sense as long as I go about it properly.

It's going to be running a wide range of phone types and allow me to have a trio of great amps I'd otherwise be unable to pull off financially. It's a win project all around with no downside from my perspective. Plus it'll be both tube and solid state. One other reason I want a big boxis that I want to integrate Stax and Sony transfo boxed in it as well.

I'm basically looking at a all-in-one super package to last me forever with superb flexibility and sound.

That's not too much to ask is it ;)

meh..well its a desktop class 2 transformer..puts out 1.67A..way more than that specified which is about 0.8A..so i hardly doubt that it is the transformer..

I'd agree with you NoNoNoNoNoNo. If it was a DC wallwart, I'd be suspect. But it's just a transformer. One of these days I'll get a nice toroid on it and see...

I am interpreting this 3-in-1 idea as smeg and about as useful as the classic lubricant :palm:

I should also qualify my earlier statement of my preference over my SOHA II = my SOHA II was a very early proto and significant changes were made to both the proto and the final release, thus mine may sound different to the version that is now in common circulation.

..dB

Soon I'll be able to make a comp between the shipping SOHAII board and the Ehha.... Hopefully :)

I thought I would post the (pictoral) journey of these amps, seeing as it has finally come to an end.

Boards etched

stackeriipcb.jpg

The power supply

Stacker5U4Gpsu4.jpg

initial testing

PDRM2860.jpg

laying out the top plate

earltopplatelayout.jpg

option2.jpg

wiring up Earl's input stage

Pdrm2986.jpg

top side

Pdrm2931.jpg

Pdrm2927.jpg

The panels arrive and a quick dry fit

Picture010.jpg

Picture018.jpg

The assembly

JP

PDRM3109.jpg

PDRM3107.jpg

Pdrm3155.jpg

EC

PDRM3110.jpg

PDRM3116.jpg

PDRM3119.jpg

Under the hood

Picture022-1.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Final result

Picture017-1.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

and this is where JP and Earl need to pick up :-)

..dB

Guest sachu

That is just totally wicked Don...

Oh and by the way..the Stacker rules..It is just on another playing field.

We missed you though..another time for sure..just don't let go of that stacker before calling me first :P

Guest sacd lover
:o What a beast! Seriously great work.

I cant wait to get my hands on this beauty. There are going to be some serious hybrid comparisons going on .... followed by some showdowns with my tube amps.