Quick story about what happened last week at work

screaming oranges

TRUE STORY (HAPPENED LAST WEEK'S FRIDAY AT WORK). :

"Alright guys, see ya around, and enjoy your lunch!"

I picked up after myself, heading out the door with my carry-on lunch bag. My colleagues waved good-byes. As I opened the door, I saw her figure a few feet in front of me: Christina was walking down the hall.

Christina is an unmistakable young little beauty. She is one of those women you simply just look at and do not want to touch in fear that when you do, she will forever vanish in a puff of smoke, leaving you wondering why the gods played such cruel jokes on us mortals.

But this was no vision: there she was, walking down the corridor towards her cubicle.

What a sight!

I must admit I always had a crush on her, but had never pursued her for one simple fact: not in her league.

This is not to say that I have low self-esteem. Oh no, far from that! Ask my friends, and all will say I walk the fine line between self-assured and conceited. But, as Clint Eastwood said in a Dirty Harry movie: "A man's got to know his limitations." At least, I think it was a Clint flick... anyhow, she was that limit.

Had it been any other day, I would have discarded any attempt as futile. But that day I felt different. Perhaps the stars were aligned just right, or the full stomach made me feel extra comfortable, but the fact was all I could think of was that I needed to say something. Anything!

As I saw her short shoulder-length hair happily bouncing up and down with every mesmerizing step she took, as her hips slightly swayed from side to side in an ever-so-teasing way, I blurted out: "wow, who is THAT?" I instantly thought to myself "Alex, you idiot, what kind of a stupid line is that... geez"

But she turned around...

...and smiled.

Yet I wasn't smiling. Oh no. I literally dropped my carry-on lunch bag on the floor. My eyes widened in surprise. My feet cranked to a sudden stop and failed to respond to any mental commands. My vocal chords ceased to produce anything audible.

She turned away from me and kept on walking.

"That was cute." She coyly remarked as she made a left turn towards the elevator. "I'm sure my daughter would have thought so too." I heard the elevator doors open with a light "ding!" A few seconds later, she was gone.

I am sure that somewhere, the gods laughed.

THE END.