Looking for a *.mov to *.wmv converter for Mac - the freer the better

Grand Enigma

Microsoft advocate using Flip4Mac for all your OS X wmv needs although you need to pay to get a version with an encoder. I've never used anything more than the free player-only version so can't say how well it works.

I've also heard that the command-line ffmpeg tool can do wmv encoding although I've never found it particularly nice to use and I expect the process won't be completely easy. It is a free though. There's a shareware gui front-end built around ffmpeg for the Mac called ffmpegX which you can find here. Otherwise to get the open source command-line only version it would be easiest to use Fink or Macports, but that may be a can of worms you don't want to open. Up to you.

Have to ask though. You definitely need wmv? It's not the nicest of containers/codecs.

Microsoft advocate using Flip4Mac for all your OS X wmv needs although you need to pay to get a version with an encoder. I've never used anything more than the free player-only version so can't say how well it works.

I've also heard that the command-line ffmpeg tool can do wmv encoding although I've never found it particularly nice to use and I expect the process won't be completely easy. It is a free though. There's a shareware gui front-end built around ffmpeg for the Mac called ffmpegX which you can find here. Otherwise to get the open source command-line only version it would be easiest to use Fink or Macports, but that may be a can of worms you don't want to open. Up to you.

Have to ask though. You definitely need wmv? It's not the nicest of containers/codecs.

Sadly yes. It is the only file format that will work for my application. I have tried Flip4mac but it seems to cut off the last 3sec or so of the videos being converted.