Anyone familiar with Hyde Park neighborhood?

humanflyz

I'm going there this fall for U of C's MA program, and I'm just wondering if anyone here knows anything about the neighborhood, like where it's good to eat/drink, which areas to avoid. Really, any knowledge is appreciated.

I have no idea but congratulations on getting in!

• 2 weeks later...

Hyde Park is OK. Just like any other area in Chicago. Not the ghetto by any stretch, but not suburbia either. If anything it will be cool to see you at local chicago meets if possible :)

I will say that there is a very obvious section I believe east of U of C that you DO NOT want to be walking in the vicinity of. Stay safe and stay around campus, try to find someone in your program to walk with if your using public transit. Feel free to PM any one of us that is here in Chicago area, at least a couple of us will be able to take you out sometime and show you around.

Thanks Ryan:

I visited the campus about a month ago, and I liked the overall feel of the neighborhood. I'll definitely try to go to a Chicago meet once I'm there.

Good to hear, Mr. U of C smarty pants:D Chicago in general is a great city, and I cannot imagine myself ever living anywhere else. Seriously when you move in shoot me a message and I am sure I can show you around hopefully with a crew of us as well.