CK2III or CTH for ATs/Grados

atothex

what's cheap and plays well with low impedance phones?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. what's cheap and plays well with low impedance phones?

• CTH
    • CK2III
    • something else that's cheap and available

I got a quickie HF-style poll for y'all. Got me some HF2s and AD2000s, and I'm looking for a cheap, temporary amp about $200ish. I'm probably gonna have a chance to buy one of these soon. I don't care for amp coloration; I just want my source and phones to do their thing. The amp just provides the power and keeps the signal clean. Other suggestions welcome, preferably used and available right now.

Edit: Oh yeah, and impressions/comparisons are very welcome. Thanks.

Guest sachu

I have built and heard both amps for about a period of 6 months for the CTH (perhaps about 1000 hours on it) and a year on the CK2III (about 1500 hours).

The CTH handily trumps the CK2III in all respects. The CTH + 6CG7 tube is a detail monster with beautiful mids and tight deep bass. In a amp shootout that featured both these amps, the Ck2III was so far behind in comparision that we only heard it once. The Ck2III got sold a week later.

As far as synergy goes, I liked the CK2III for the way it sounded with the Sennheiser HD580 that I had at the time. The CTH I heard it with the HF-2 albeit briefly and it seemed to be every bit as good as reported by others as an ideal amp for grados. No idea about the Denons though.

The CTH is 'kind of' a mini-stacker if you will. Highly recommended.

Guest sachu

I have listened to the Fostex T50RP which is 50ohms, the Wharfedale ID1 which is about 60 ohms and my SFIs whcih are 32 ohms. My two yammy orthos are all about 120 or 127 ohms.

The audeze I will be getting is going to be 40 ohms. So they are all low impedance in my book.

Of the ones you mentioned, the CTH is the only one I have heard, but it was very nice and sounding above it's price. It did well with Grado, Denon and Sennheiser, with enough power to drive my 120ohm SFI orthos as well. It seemed to be similar to my EF1 and my son's Millett SSH, depending on the tubes (I liked the Mullard).

I currently have an EF2 tube hybrid which sounds very similar to the EF1 in a side by side comparison, therefore I suspect the EF2 will be similar to the CTH as well. I mention the EF2 because it also has a decent Burr Brown Japan PCM2702E USB DAC included, for under $200. The EF2 however cannot drive a 4-8 ohm Head-direct orthodynamic prototype like the EF1 could (at CanJam).

Still, I am pretty sure if you go with the CTH you will not be disappointed.

Well, it's better than an iPod or Macbook headphone out...

Heh, well this would be as a temporary home solution, not as some kind of extra thing. I know you like to have several different home rigs; I don't. Anyways, I already have a good home DAC and a good portable DAC, so I'm covered on the source front. ;)

Hilariously enough, I just came home from the Norcal meet having borrowed Icarium's CK2III and found a NoNoNoNoNoNo-built CTH waiting at my doorstep. But can't listen now, I gotta hit the gym. My lunch consisted of 2 double-doubles, animal fries, and a choco shake. Fuck me. :palm:

• 2 weeks later...
Heh, well this would be as a temporary home solution, not as some kind of extra thing. I know you like to have several different home rigs; I don't. Anyways, I already have a good home DAC and a good portable DAC, so I'm covered on the source front. ;)

Hilariously enough, I just came home from the Norcal meet having borrowed Icarium's CK2III and found a NoNoNoNoNoNo-built CTH waiting at my doorstep. But can't listen now, I gotta hit the gym. My lunch consisted of 2 double-doubles, animal fries, and a choco shake. Fuck me. :palm:

How did it work out for you? Which one of the two did you like more and why?

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, btw I was able to compare these briefly for like less than an hour at home. DAC was the modded Transdac and transport was via *ahem* motherboard coax :(. 6CG7s on the CTH; RCA I believe, although it could've been GE.

They're both very good with the HF2s for sure. The CKKIII is a bit cleaner, while the CTH is a bit warmer. I'd have to probably volume match and listen more extensively to determine a winner. With the ATs, though, the CKKIII is definitely superior. For whatever reason, the CTH turns the ATs top-heavy and bottom-light. The CKKIII presents a more balanced sound. Still, I preferred the HF2s from either of them to the AD2000s with either of them. Damn AD2000s are picky imo. I'm keeping the CTH for now and gonna listen exclusively to the Grados until I get my next amp.