HD800 Amp Upgrade (WA6 or B22)

liwei

I am sure you are right, and I was just talking from personal experience and what I have read about the SP 274B that is used with the Woo WA6/SE along with other rectifiers.

I also would like to apologize, if it seemed to you that I was saying that the rectifier would transform a headphone amp. However imo the right tube can help bring out the best in a headphone tube amp, even in a Woo that is built well. And I do love my Woo. :)

So I will bow to your expertise and as you say"give it a rest".

Respectfully,

ss

I'll take Sally's part here. The 274B made a pretty big difference in my rig, which is to say it made a change that mattered positively to me in my system. YMMV.

On one hand, I'm a little uncomfortable about what that fact might mean. (I'm not all that sure a rectifier should be that big a deal, all other things being everything they should.)

On the other hand, I'm not uncomfortable with it at all. For 10% of the cost of the amp, it made it better (to my ears). Who cares why or how?

I know. Designers, top DIYers and general purpose anal retentives like -ah, me - all care about such things on general principles. And all of the above sorts are represented here.

But that's a different story. We're talking about a commercial product. As long as I have a warm and fuzzy that I'm not going to open up the Woo and find scorching parts and the safety ground dangling off (and I do have that warm and fuzzy) whatever works is cool with me. With all the usual caveats about personal taste, I'd tell anybody thinking about buying a 6SE to buy the Sophia and not sweat much about it.