Starting point for upgrade from HR Home DAC?

rpaul

Using a Headroom Desktop amp with Max module and Home DAC powered by DPS. Sounds great with the HD650. I recall reading somewhere that the HD600/650 was used to voice the Headroom amps and their CS4398-based DACs, thus providing good synergy when used all together.

I'm curious what the cheapest CD/DVD players or standalone DACs would be that could be considered upgrades to the Home DAC. I'm not interested in the Max DAC (Home DAC w/ AD1896 upsampler).

Other than the UDAC, would the frequently mentioned PS Audio DLIII, Apogee Mini-DAC, or even Pico DAC be considered upgrades?

Can't put exactly into words what I'm looking for, but something along the lines of "more refined throughout the frequency range" and "greater resolving power" come to mind.

I read Monkey's synopsis of the UDAC and am thinking that combined with the Desktop amp it might be too smooth & laid back. Still might give that a try once I have at least 1 or 2 other alternatives to compare to.

I'm not necessarily looking for the best match for the HD650, I am still considering other headphones. The constant is that I want to stay SS with my Desktop amp.

If it turns out that I'd have to spend another $1K - $1.5K for the cheapest meaningful source upgrade, then I'll just sit tight for a little while and appreciate my current rig that much more.

there ya go, sit tight

He did kinda answer the question himself.

As far as DACs go, I still think I like my Apogee mini-DAC the most, it was just that the PS Audio DLIII just had better synergy with O2 Mk1 on the GES because it was brighter in 192Khz up-sampling mode.

At RMAF I realized just how much the PS Audio can improve with the Cullen mods, when using a very revealing amp and phones to compare the stock PSA and a modded one. Stock it just doesn't have the refinement of the Apogee, and after that I moved the Apogee into my main rig with the ZDT amp, which is awaiting the Woo WES to come join it (a better match for the O2). I just can't say how much better the Apogee would be over the HR Home DAC built into the HR Max Desktop amp. The Apogee certainly will be cheaper than a Cullen modded PS Audio, unless you go for the Firewire option in the Apogee.

The Pico DAC is excellent for a USB only DAC, and Iron_Dreamer sold me his old Apogee simply because he felt the Pico DAC/amp's USB performance matched or exceeded the Apogee's (using Pico as a DAC/preamp). I was never able to say the Pico was better, but the differences are small enough that I never felt the need to rank them. I do think the Pico DAC-only is slightly more transparent with slightly more micro-detail than the DAC/amp used as a preamp, and it very well could outperform the HR DAC when using USB.

If it turns out that I'd have to spend another $1K - $1.5K for the cheapest meaningful source upgrade, then I'll just sit tight for a little while and appreciate my current rig that much more.

I can say with certainty that you'd have to spend that amount or more to net a clear sonic benefit over your current source.

Also the HD650 is a fine headphone but it has limitations as to how far it'll scale, so I would recommend not upgrading the source too far if you intend on keeping them.