Paging all SinglePower experts

humanflyz

I did some thinking the other day and it occured to me that the best Grado tube amps I've heard to date were all transformer output. The PPX3 Slam I heard, while nice, doesn't have the bottom end control and slam that Biggie's tube amp and mine have. Both our amps are transformer output push-pull amps, his uses triode-connected EL34's and mine uses 6BX7's at the moment, loads of power and control for Grados. Given the low impedance of Grados, I think a transformer output would be the way to go.

I wish I could build

I did some thinking the other day and it occured to me that the best Grado tube amps I've heard to date were all transformer output. The PPX3 Slam I heard, while nice, doesn't have the bottom end control and slam that Biggie's tube amp and mine have. Both our amps are transformer output push-pull amps, his uses triode-connected EL34's and mine uses 6BX7's at the moment, loads of power and control for Grados. Given the low impedance of Grados, I think a transformer output would be the way to go.

Very interesting. Of the commercial amps available what you think is the best pairing for the RS-1?

God I want an uber

Guest sacd lover

I wish I could build

Very interesting. Of the commercial amps available what you think is the best pairing for the RS-1?

God I want an uber

I have been bugging Mikhail incessantly to design a transformer coupled amp specifically for the Grado crowd. I have a Supra in for that very mod. I want him to come out with an amp thats either transformer coupled or a hybrid amp like the old Melos .... but better. If you could hear the Supra 392 OTL with 6bl7gta's run at high voltage and high bias current, which will drive anything, you would probably understand his reluctance. But a high power transformer coupled amp using .... say a transformer coupled 6bl7gta output tube in a MPX3 .... or something even more powerful like a transformer coupled 6336/6528a output tube in a new design would be a knockout. :o

I have been bugging Mikhail incessantly to design a transformer coupled amp specifically for the Grado crowd. I have a Supra in for that very mod. I want him to come out with an amp thats either transformer coupled or a hybrid amp like the old Melos .... but better. If you could hear the Supra 392 OTL with 6bl7gta's run at high voltage and high bias current, which will drive anything, you would probably understand his reluctance. But a high power transformer coupled amp using .... say a transformer coupled 6bl7gta output tube in a MPX3 .... or something even more powerful like a transformer coupled 6336/6528a output tube in a new design would be a knockout. :o

Mmmm....that sounds so good.

I'm seriously deathly afraid of getting a Melos because of their reliability and difficult servicing. But I really would like a high end tube amp specifically for Grados. The PPX3-SLAM sounded great, but if theres better I'm all for it. And if SinglePower can do it, then they would have my money.

Guest sacd lover

I'm seriously deathly afraid of getting a Melos because of their reliability and difficult servicing. But I really would like a high end tube amp specifically for Grados. The PPX3-SLAM sounded great, but if theres better I'm all for it. And if SinglePower can do it, then they would have my money.

Picture one is identical to a second Supra I have at SP waiting to be modded. The to be modded Supra may end up using 6bl7gta's again or the 6528 pictured .... for effect. But for sure the amp will be transformer coupled. The OTL Supra pictured actually has more power than the EC Zana just using the 6bl7gta's. The transformer coupled Supra will have 5x the power of this OTL Supra with the same 6bl7gta's. This amp will drive anything now so I am having trouble comprehending 5x more power. Furthermore, the 6528 is a much more powerful tube than the 6bl7gta. I cant imagine these amps couldnt supply all the current any Grado would ever want.

Picture003-4.jpg

Pic two is a SLAM PPX3 wth a new output tube I am trying called the 7044. This is an excellent tube and I like this particular GE 7044 nearly as much as my favorite tung sol 5687's. In addition, I also have the new 6414 gain tube installed. This pairing drives ALL my headphones with ease .... including the 600 ohm/ low sensitivity AKG 240M and a modded 32 ohm Grado sr-80.

Picture003-3.jpg