Metric Halo ULN-2 and Sennheiser HD 650 help

Espen

Hi,

I need some advice. I have a Metric Halo ULN-2 which I use for recording and as a DAC-unit with my Mac, through S/PDIF from my M-Box 2, which works fine. I am currently considering buying some high quality headphones to do as much work as possible with a headset, since I can't make much sound where I live. I was thinking about buying a pair of HD 650, but have read serveral places that some people doesn't think it works too well with the ULN-2 headphone amp because of too high impedance.

I don't have much experience with headphones. Does anyone have an idea what I could connect between my ULN-2 and a pair of HD-650 to make them sound as good as they can? Some kind of headphone amplifier that would work perfect with this setup, not too expensive? Or would I just be wasting my money, and should instead settle for cheaper headphones that works better with the ULN-2? I won't be bying another DAC unit, at least.

Thanks for any help!

why would you go through an M-box from a Mac to the ULN-2 when you could just plug the macs firewire cable into the ULN-2? Personally I did not own the 650s at the same time as my ULN-2 but the AT AD2000s sounded really great out of the built in headphone amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Espen: The HD650s are great phones, but not much isolation if you are in a noisy location. But it seems that good sounding phones goes together with poor isolation. Anyway, if you are having any issues with the 650's and the ULN-2, try this solution. It's got great sound, will drive any dynamic headphone and will serve you well on location: CEntrance -> DACport I have a ULN-8 and a pair of 650's. When I get a chance I'll report how it works with it.

Best wishes,

Bob

Hi,

I need some advice. I have a Metric Halo ULN-2 which I use for recording and as a DAC-unit with my Mac, through S/PDIF from my M-Box 2, which works fine. I am currently considering buying some high quality headphones to do as much work as possible with a headset, since I can't make much sound where I live. I was thinking about buying a pair of HD 650, but have read serveral places that some people doesn't think it works too well with the ULN-2 headphone amp because of too high impedance.

I don't have much experience with headphones. Does anyone have an idea what I could connect between my ULN-2 and a pair of HD-650 to make them sound as good as they can? Some kind of headphone amplifier that would work perfect with this setup, not too expensive? Or would I just be wasting my money, and should instead settle for cheaper headphones that works better with the ULN-2? I won't be bying another DAC unit, at least.

Thanks for any help!