JAN == NOS?

Dusty Chalk

Guest sacd lover

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no such thing as a new production JAN tube, yes?

JAN = Joint Army/ Navy .... and there are still a very few "new" JAN tubes being manufactured today. Especially, if you consider Russian military tubes as JAN tubes.

NOS = New/ Old stock. Some tubes with large stockpiles of new/ old stock tubes, like the 6C33, are still in production in limited numbers.

JAN = Joint Army/ Navy .... and there are still a very few "new" JAN tubes being manufactured today. Especially, if you consider Russian military tubes as JAN tubes.
Stupid question: does it matter whether or not I "consider" that or not -- isn't a JAN tube a JAN tube -- not the same as "mil-spec" or russian military, or anything, but a JAN tube is very specifically a tube made for JAN.
Some tubes with large stockpiles of new/ old stock tubes, like the 6C33, are still in production in limited numbers.
I don't understand this. I know what NOS means -- it means it was made a while ago, but hasn't been used yet. Are you saying that 6C33, although apparently still in production, has really been made a while ago, and is no longer being manufactured? Yeah, that's sort of a grey line, but perhaps if I explained where I'm coming from, my question will make more sense (and also explain why this distinction isn't really important in this case).

I found a pair of tubes I bought a while ago, and they were labeled JAN. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not they're NOS or not (in addition to whether they're any good or not, but that's an easier question for me to answer -- just try them!). I remember not liking them and not using them for very long at all, so if I sell them, I want to know whether or not to advertise them as not-quite-new old-stock or not.

Guest sacd lover

Stupid question: does it matter whether or not I "consider" that or not -- isn't a JAN tube a JAN tube -- not the same as "mil-spec" or russian military, or anything, but a JAN tube is very specifically a tube made for JAN.I don't understand this. I know what NOS means -- it means it was made a while ago, but hasn't been used yet. Are you saying that 6C33, although apparently still in production, has really been made a while ago, and is no longer being manufactured? Yeah, that's sort of a grey line, but perhaps if I explained where I'm coming from, my question will make more sense (and also explain why this distinction isn't really important in this case).

I found a pair of tubes I bought a while ago, and they were labeled JAN. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not they're NOS or not (in addition to whether they're any good or not, but that's an easier question for me to answer -- just try them!). I remember not liking them and not using them for very long at all, so if I sell them, I want to know whether or not to advertise them as not-quite-new old-stock or not.

If the tube is a JAN tube its 99% likely to be a nos tube.

The 6c33 tube was made in the thousands ( supposedly 70,000 per month a the tubes production peak) and there are huge nos stockpiles of the tube. But for some reason instead of using the stockpiles they continue to make a small supply of new production 6c33's. Does that make sense?

A nos tube is usually considered one thats over 20 years old .... but thats subjective and probably not everyone accepts that premise. If you could tell us the tube type and when it was made .... assuming there is a date code .... that would help us answer your question.