I will be going to Nicaragua first week of April, and will buy some booze, BUT...

screaming oranges

...today a co-worker informed me that she had bought five bottles of Flor de Cana centenario duty-free at the airport in Nicaragua. When she arrived at the states, customs told her she could only take two and that the limit isn't an airline limit but TSA's limit (though she did say the guy was a complete douche).

This seriously sucks, as I wanted to bring back at least four bottles (two Flor de Cana and, if found at airport duty-free, two Havana Club, if not, some other stuff).

The thing is, I can't find anything on TSA's website concerning the limit of bottles, and my coworker admitted that just three weeks before her husband had returned from Nicaragua with five bottles without a problem. Anyone know anything about regulations with licquor? Maybe I just suck at searching...

Finally found something:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

I think I will have to buy a few pelican cases to make sure these don't get broken. What I don't get though is the following: the duty-free sections are AFTER one has passed the checked baggage point. So.... how does this work???

QUOTE TSA:

"With the exception of medications, any amount of liquid including alcohol greater than three ounces must be packed in your checked baggage.

Liquids, including alcohol purchased after clearing the security checkpoint are permitted aboard aircraft."

It's so ambiguous. Does the second sentence follow the guidelines of the preceding one or are the two separate rules?

Edited by screaming oranges

Not sure if this is of any help, but when I traveled and bought liquor(also flor de cana quite a popular rum :D) I was able to travel with the bottles on the airplane from Panama>Newark, however in Newark I had to pickup my luggage and put the bottles inside then get the luggage checked in. This is where that "no greater than 30oz" line applies.

Frankly with the price of the rum in local stores I'd just pay duty pack it with some clothes and check the luggage, you'll avoid a huge hassle.