Should I get a CE595 for multi-channel SACDs?

deepak

Is it worth getting a cheap Sony CE595 for just multi-channel SACDs? I'm really happy with redbook as it is (and my DA10), since most of the music I listen to is released on this format. But there are a few mutli-channel SACDs that I'd love to hear on my K1000.

Do you guys think it's worth it? And will I be able to send the analog cables straight to my Pass Labs amp or is something fancy required?

You can't listen to multi-channel SACD's on one pair of K1000's...but two pair, now you're talking. And yes, you'll need some sort of prepro to redirect the 5.1 to 4.0 channels.

So: no, absolutely not, I would not get a multichannel SACD player to play multichannel audio on K1000's.

However: I would recommend getting a SACD player for the higher fidelity. I listen to my SACD player exclusively two channel, and it's worth it, even if occasionally.

Here's the thing: Sony has an inside edge on SACD's, so for entry level, they're impossible to beat. For CD's, I would still use an external DAC. This is my setup.

The 595 really isn't bad. It's good enough that, even compared with a good DAC playing back the CD component of a hybrid, you get some taste for what SACD has to offer over and above that. I'm not sure it's SACD playback is better than CD on a good DAC, but it's different and shows something of what's there.