Crossover options?

tom_hankins

I'm looking for a balanced crossover to run between my pre/amp. Need to be able to cut off from 80hz down and it must have 24db slope. I'm going to use it so i can take full advantage of my subs. Its got to be balanced and I prefer active but I'm not locked in on that if the best product in my price range is passive. I dont want to spend to much to start maybe 3-400 bucks. I found the Rane AC 22B but really have no clue whats out there or whats any good. Any suggestions would really help me out as I'm going in blind. Thanks.

Marchand looks very good. They can build build me a fully balanced passive with my option requests for a little over my budget. Would it be better to go out to the main speakers (amp) and subs through the Xover? Or just go between Xover and amp and then dial in the subs on there own at 80hz? Right now I'm running the amp and the subs through the two sets of balanced outputs on my preamp.

Right now I'm running one set of outputs to the amp and the second outputs to the pr. of sunbs. I'm thinking just put the Xover between the amp and preamp and leave the sub the same. Then tune in the subs at 80hz with there on board crossovers. I guess the Marchland is the best way to go (as far as quality for $$$).

Right now I'm running one set of outputs to the amp and the second outputs to the pr. of sunbs. I'm thinking just put the Xover between the amp and preamp and leave the sub the same. Then tune in the subs at 80hz with there on board crossovers. I guess the Marchland is the best way to go (as far as quality for $$$).

It's actually amazing the number of companies that make these. For example, Accuphase, Bryston, Krell, Pass (old and new, i.e the PCXe and the XVR1), Luxman, and last but CERTAINLY not least, the ACS-1 from our buddy John Curl.

I've owned the Marchand products and I think they're decent.

There's also the concept of a PLLXO (passive line level crossover), which you might consider researching a bit and Marchand sells as well.

I'm going to go ahead and try one of the Marchand passive units. Should no problem since I'm only using 27' of very low cap. cables. 22' after the preamp and then another 4' from xover to amps. Scared to put anything active in if I dont have to. I'll let you know how it works out. it will take 2-3 weeks before i get it. Thanks for the help!