Quad L series, L2 series, L series Active

Dusty Chalk

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw that a few weeks ago. Interestingly, the active series is based on the original L design. I would have liked to see something new there, i.e. basing it on the L2 series. It looks fairly similar, but reading the white paper there are some worthwhile design changes, both in the cabinet design and the driver specs in the new L series.

What I did discover that I didn't know previously is that the amplifier sections of the active models use the current dumping topology, which I didn't expect at such a low pricepoint.

I see no mention of the new L's in the USA however...

Well that explains why I was able to get such a good deal on my 22L's :). It doesn't look like they have changed them very much, the most apparent difference is the tweeter housing.

They seem to also have changed the bass driver in the 22L2, though that simply looks like the removal of the tapered phase plug which I suppose doesn't contribute anything useful at those frequencies (and might contribute something unwanted).

• 4 months later...