Headphile X-1 and Cherry Bomb

hungrych

http://www.headphile.com/page20.html

Looks cool, though I don't totally get it. Are the drivers supposed to be swappable or something? Or is it more of a CD3000 hybrid type deal, but with heavily modded beyers? Seems cool either way. ;D

And the Cherry Bomb description confuses me a bit, are they grados with fully custom wood enclosures and modular cable?

They can start out with whatever driver, but not changed later. They are a user tweakable hybrid. You light Cherry bombs with a match and they go bang, haha... Once I get farther along on both, it will make more sense.

Sorry Larry, I'm still a little confused. So from what I gather, the X-1 is basically an uber beyer hybrid, and the cherry bomb is a grado with a custom wood enclosure and removable cable? ???:P

The X-1 is basically that though only the shell is Beyer. I really wanted a way to adjust the driver to virtually any depth at will, this is what's come of that (along with comfort and eventual good looks).

The Cherry Bombs are a one piece, all wood deep chambered, pre fitted with a top class Grado driver that will fit on an unmodded Grado band. They will/should sound better than modded HF-1's. I may possibly offer them just like that (and complete), no cable, no band, just slip them on your current band and plug in a cable. Then again, I may just keep a pair myself and leave it at that.

Both are just proto's that I thought I'd share. I also am going to make an electrostatic/dynamic combo which can probably double as a surround sound can. Speaking of surround, that proto pair I made out of an old Pioneer quad set is too good not to expand on one of these days. Soundstage almost too good for headphones :o

I really wanted a way to adjust the driver to virtually any depth at will

I think that is the most promising part of the X-1, gives an almost endless amount of ways to tweak the sound. Should be fun to try one with L3000 drivers ;D