Configuration for samba login

The default umask setting when I save anything on the unix system at work (via samba) is that everyone can read it.  This is totally stupid and I have talked to the chair about this but nobody wants to change it.  

I know that one can change this setting for the whole system in the smb.conf file.  Is there a way that I can change the default for me when I login.  I have already changed the default setting when things are created when I am logged in via ssh but can't figure out how to do it when copying files from my computer.  Most of the files I save are grades and letters of recommendations and things like that and I don't want to risk forgetting to change the umask settings and having them readable by others on the server. 

You set it via your .login file within your home directory (~/.login)

To modify it for your shells you change the respective profile file:

Korn / Bourne shell: ~/.profile 

C shells: ~/.cshrc file 

Bash shell: ~/.bash_profile

Edited by Nebby

The command is actually umask, and it's the reverse of what you want to set it to, so if you want to make it completely private to you ('owner'), it's umask 077, and if you want to allow others to read but not write, it's umask 022.

link

And then you set up the command to execute when you first log in as Ben said.

I already have have umask 077 in my .cshrc file.  That doesn't do anything when I login via the samba server (meaning mount the folder on my mac via "Connect to Server"  smb:serveripaddress).  There must be some way to tell the samba server to copy my files as unreadable by groups and others.

Edit #1:  Oh, nevermind, you are saying to put it in the .login file as well.   :palm:  I'll try that. 

Edit #2: I put it in the .login file and it still copies and creates new files as readable by all.

Edit #3:  I think I figured out the problem.  I think the permissions on my mac allow reading by others and it is copying those permission.  

Edited by shellylh

Yes, I do.  I don't like the default permission being readable by "everyone" (although presumably this is just me and my admin account - again me since I don't have any guest account or other accounts).  Still, I don't know why Mac would set this as their default.  Maybe a Mac person could help me out here.   

Not a Mac user, but I found this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2202

Umask for user applications

In Mac OS X v10.5.3 and later, you can create the file /etc/launchd-user.conf with the contents "umask nnn". Do not include the quotation marks and replace nnn with the desired umask value, such as 027 or 002.

This will set the user's umask for all applications they launch, such as Finder, TextEdit, or Final Cut Pro, and control the permissions set on new files created by any of these applications.

Note: If you are using OS X Lion, you should update to OS X Lion v10.7.4 or later. Files and folders created in the Finder will then respect the user umask.

They also list the default umasks in the article:

For example, the default umask of 022 results in permissions of 644 on new files and 755 on new folders: groups and other users can read the files and traverse the folders, but only the owner can make changes.

Edited by Nebby

That almost works.  However, when I create a directory with the "New Folder" command on Mac, it still creates a directory with permissions: drwx--x--x.  If I create a file with, say TextMate, it creates a file where only I have permission to rw.  Weird.  

I put umask 077 in the file /etc/launchd-user.conf

If I create a folder on Mac, only I can open it now, and when I copy it over, it is fine.  However, if I create a new folder directly into a folder on the server, others can execute it. 

Can you create a folder from within TextMate? That Mac article listed a method to apply umask to system processes (I'm guessing the New Folder command falls under that), but warned that since it applies it at the system level you can break things if you're not careful.

Umask for system processes

In Mac OS X v10.4 and later, create the file /etc/launchd.conf with the contents "umask nnn". Do not include the quotation marks and replace nnn with the desired umask value, such as 027 or 002.

This will set the umask for all processes. Changing this value is strongly discouraged because it changes the permissions on files used by the system software. If the permissions are too restrictive, dependent software may not work. If the permissions are too open, they may introduce security issues.

As Grawk said though, execute only allows them to cd into it.

Edited by Nebby