Joy of Sake

riceboy

Oh, god, sake... the last time I got a bottle of sake for a recipe I was trying out, I ended up 'sipping' while cooking and was raving drunk by the time my wife got home. The food was delicious though. :)

Yeah sake and cooking is a good combination. I use Sake to cook food as well.

:mikey2:

Oh, god, sake... the last time I got a bottle of sake for a recipe I was trying out, I ended up 'sipping' while cooking and was raving drunk by the time my wife got home. The food was delicious though. :)

Well it could have been burnt beyond all recognition at that point, and you'd still think it was good.

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot to report back on the event.

There were 12 areas that were just food. All of them had their own signature dish that they were serving up. One was oysters with some spicy favored sea salt on it, another had Foie gras, lots of sushi of course :), desserts, salad, pork tenderloin, misoyaki butterfish, etc. Overall the food was excellent.

The sake was separated by 5 different grades/types of sake. Basically you got a plastic cup, but you could purchase a Sake glass for 3.00 and then go to town. Out of the 300+ sakes I could only drink about 45 different ones. There were some that I went back for seconds or thirds. This was my first year so I realized that on the four corners of the huge meeting hall was stations that was pouring. Now those were the places that had $100 - $300 bottles of sake. To be honest my taste buds can't tell the different between really good sake and average sake. Of course when I drank the sake I thought it tasted good, but I'm not sure if I had a blind taste test between average bottle and expensive ones if I could really tell the difference. But who cares, I was out with some buds and we were free from the wives and kids so it was time to party :dance:.

It was a great experience and I found out this event comes yearly so I'm planning on going every year :).

:mikey1:

i really want to go to whiskyfest.

I would love to go to whiskeyfest. The same bunch of guys were talking about how great it would be to have a whiskey type of event like the sake event. That would really give me a chance to taste different types of whiskeys :). Now I'm determined to see if there is a whiskey event where I live. Thanks for the info EdipisReks. BTW are you going?