I need a lense for my camera, Canon

granodemostasa

Hello

I was lucky enough to get skyline's D20 for only 500$ (thanks! great deal). The deal is that so far i've only owned film SLR cameras and, as I understand it, my current lense won't work for this camera.

Since I'm pretty much flat broke, I really can't stretch beyond like 300$...so here is the question. What do you camera-junkies consider a decent all-around lense for such a camera? Thanks

What will you be shooting, mainly? You'll have to sacrifice somehwere. Did you get the kit lens? Its an EF-S 18-55.

IMO, I would look into two cheap(er) lenses. One a 70-200 (or 70-300), and either a lower telephoto, or a 50mm prime.

The classic is the 50 f/1.8, what can be had for about $75, but that is if you don't mind a prime.

Using about the same budget, I picked up a Sigma 70-300, and a Sigma 28-70. I am happy with them, considering what I paid.

Of course, what you get, will depend on what you shoot.

That'd be the first time I'd heard that film lenses wouldn't work on a digital body, that's not the way Nikon works anyway. Based on some quick reading that body should work with any EF or EF-S mount lenses.

HTH,

Nate

Yeah they should work fine, but depending how old, may not work with the AF.

I have a tendency to shoot only two types of shots:

1. lots of people, indoors and outdoors

2. short distance landscape-architecture like stuff,

I've not really used shots beyond 100, or have rarely done so.

Not sure if you're aware, but make sure to take the cropping factor into account when looking at lenses. So on that body a 24mm prime would be a 38.5mm equivalent due to the 1.6x crop factor.