playing DVDs on OS X

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm using the OS X install disc to reinstall the bundled software, but it's frustrating that it won't let me choose which ones to install but instead installs EVERYTHING.

The install is customizable.

the dvd player isn't part of the software bundle though, its part of the OS. If the previous owner deleted it, I'd seriously consider a complete wipe and reinstall - they don't seem to know what they were doing.

i've had problems with netflix dvd's on my macbook (a hardware issue)...if it recognized them, vlc would play them just fine.

i've read somewhere that netflix get's purposely high-error pressings of dvd's...which is supposedly a way to prevent many computer dvd drives from handling them. because of the way computer dvd rom drives need to be able to read all the data error free to work at all, whereas standalone dvd players will happily skip over errors and continue reading...

i think this behavior is not so much a pure hardware thing (as many dvd players use the same dvd rom drives as computers) but rather a consequence of either the drive's firmware and/or OS drivers.

either way, those slot-loading drives on all the macs (except the full pro desktops) suck balls...they're designed to be low power and i've had nothing but problems with them, going back through many years of macbooks, powerbooks and ibooks...

go get a cheap "lite-on" external usb dvd rom drive (google for the highly rated model numbers) for all your optical needs.

mjb

i've had problems with netflix dvd's on my macbook (a hardware issue)...if it recognized them, vlc would play them just fine.

i've read somewhere that netflix get's purposely high-error pressings of dvd's...which is supposedly a way to prevent many computer dvd drives from handling them. because of the way computer dvd rom drives need to be able to read all the data error free to work at all, whereas standalone dvd players will happily skip over errors and continue reading...

i think this behavior is not so much a pure hardware thing (as many dvd players use the same dvd rom drives as computers) but rather a consequence of either the drive's firmware and/or OS drivers.

either way, those slot-loading drives on all the macs (except the full pro desktops) suck balls...they're designed to be low power and i've had nothing but problems with them, going back through many years of macbooks, powerbooks and ibooks...

go get a cheap "lite-on" external usb dvd rom drive (google for the highly rated model numbers) for all your optical needs.

mjb

I've had 0 trouble ripping netflix dvds with my macbook and my mac mini.

judging on what I've seen (which is, of course, anecdotal and thus worthless), there are many things that are more likely to fail on your average mac than the optical drive.

Like the logic board.

Or power supply.

i've read somewhere that netflix get's purposely high-error pressings of dvd's...which is supposedly a way to prevent many computer dvd drives from handling them.

Snarky aside: if by letting any random monkey that can cough up ~$18 a month wipe their arse with the disc for however long they like before returning it, then yes.

I have seen the odd distributor only style disc, but I doubt they shop for high error versions specifically, assuming that is even worth the trouble to do (which I doubt). Cheap discs perhaps.

judging on what I've seen (which is, of course, anecdotal and thus worthless), there are many things that are more likely to fail on your average mac than the optical drive.

Like the logic board.

Or power supply.

I disagree, moving parts always seem to be the ones with the highest failure rates. Logic board failures are more on the rare side. Funnily enough the optical drive in my Macbook Pro was playing up lately although playing a laser lens cleaner disc in there seemed to be all it needed to sort it out.