Hey coffee geeks: New Roaster

nelamvr6

What about using a hot air popcorn popper to roast beans? Good idea? Or just pony up for a real roaster?

If it's decent enough I'd like to try, at least for the pissing off the neighbors factor.

[/quote

It works really well, and produces fairly bright roasts. Most roasts only take around five minutes, but it's really easy to hear the cracks. Dump the coffee in and turn it on. I wouldn't use it for popcorn after that, though.

You can find guides on converting popcorn poppers into coffee roasters over at coffeegeek.com.

One thing you have to watch out for, you don't want poppers that have their air intake at the bottom, it has to be on the sides. Otherwise you could start a fire and ruin your whole afternoon...

What about using a hot air popcorn popper to roast beans? Good idea? Or just pony up for a real roaster?

If it's decent enough I'd like to try, at least for the pissing off the neighbors factor.

Look for The Poppery mkL built like a tank abd you can find them on ebay, poppers produce good coffee but in smaller batches and with brighter flavor profiles than the better roasters due to it's quick roast times. X2 on the bottom vent poppers you will start a fire and get piss poor roasts, it's a fire hazard so stay away from them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I asked for a Solis Maestro for the holidays and got a Cuisinart blade burr instead of a conical one.

You get what you pay for. The Cuisinart is a piece of shit.

Is there any bean roaster you can safely use indoors?

The one I posted about at the start of this thread can be used indoors. In fact I've never used it anywhere but in my kitchen. It works GREAT!