Anyone else like the Symphony?

tom_hankins

Just got back from seeing Leila Josefowicz solo with the Atlanta Symphony. Second time I've seen her. She is really woth the ticket if you get a chance. The performed Beethovens violin concerto in D major. God sher can make that violin sing and cry.

She was using a Del Gesu violin that was made in 1724.( I am guessing KA_CHING in $$ major) ;D

As a bonus she is very easy on the eyes too. ;)

Sounds like you enjoyed it :D She's got quite an impressive resume.

Is the Guarneri her's?! :o

I was just listening to Julia Fischer's PentaTone Beethoven recording and it's very good too. Can't beat live though.

Not sure if its hers or not. Just says she has been using it on this years tour. I saw in the other post you had recently got a copy of this concerto.

Indeed. It's one of my favourite violin concertos. I have quite a few recordings of it: Perlman, Bell, Hahn, Kogan, Kennedy, and now Faust. Recording quality-wise, the Harmonia Mundi-Faust recording is probably the best with the Sony-Bell a close 2nd.

Perlman, Bell and Kennedy bought their own Strads ("lucky" bastards ;D). Hahn plays on her own JB Vuillaume and Faust on a loaned Strad.

What else was on the programme? I'm guessing some Beethoven Overture to start off the concert and a Brahms Symphony? That would be a good concert, if not on the heavy-weight side.

I have to say I am not familiar with Schumann's symphonies :P His piano, violin and chamber music is great though.

BTW, does the Atlanta Symphony concertmaster ever go on tour? I seem to remember hearing him in Hong Kong (or not?). He was playing the Beethoven concerto with the Hong Kong Philharmonic. Maybe I confused him with the guy from Baltimore or was it Maryland ??? Argh. I really can't remember.

I've always loved the symphony. One of my favourite recent memories of the symphony is having my mom surprise me with some cheap tickets we got. We ended up being seated in the choir section, on the other side of the orchestra. It was actually kind of wonderful to (a) be able to see up close and from about one story up, and (B) be able to actually watch the conducter, and not just the back of his head, and © not to have to sing (I did used to be in a choir). Another was to see Andre Watts play Saint-Saens' 2nd Piano Concerto -- the first time I heard it, and it has since become one of my favourite pieces, and his interpretation is my favourite. For free (won a pair of tickets from the company I worked for at the time).

I still have a fantasy of seeing Hilary Hahn live, as she's my favourite living violinist, and she's relatively local here, so apparently plays often (and she's easy on the eyes as well -- a bit too young for me, but hey...it's just a fantasy).

I still have a fantasy of seeing Hilary Hahn live, as she's my favourite living violinist, and she's relatively local here, so apparently plays often (and she's easy on the eyes as well -- a bit too young for me, but hey...it's just a fantasy).

Saw her live last month when she played at Berkeley, and yes, she's definitely easy on the eyes, and more my age O0

Oh I love Hilary Hahn. Her playing is exquisite and oh-so-natural. She really gives Queen Anne-Sophie Mutter a run for her money. I think I have every single one of her recordings ;D (well most of them anyway) She's 8 years older than me though... so I'm off to a bad start. :D

I've always loved the symphony. One of my favourite recent memories of the symphony is having my mom surprise me with some cheap tickets we got. We ended up being seated in the choir section, on the other side of the orchestra. It was actually kind of wonderful to (a) be able to see up close and from about one story up, and (B) be able to actually watch the conducter, and not just the back of his head, and © not to have to sing (I did used to be in a choir). Another was to see Andre Watts play Saint-Saens' 2nd Piano Concerto -- the first time I heard it, and it has since become one of my favourite pieces, and his interpretation is my favourite. For free (won a pair of tickets from the company I worked for at the time).

We bought what would normally be considered lousey tickets for this one. Third row slightly off center. Got them because we have seen Miss Josefowicz before and want to see her play up close. It was really nice. And it was the first time I got to see the conductors face too. They are very animated up close. I will get these type seats from now on when there is a soloist I like.

Concert/operas glasses are for grannies ;D

You better not let my wife Lyra hear that. She brings a pr. to every concert.

Lyra....Should I bring the glasses?

tom...No we dont need them.

Lyra...I'll bring them, just in case.

Tom...Whatever.

Tom...(ten minutes into the concert) Hey Lyra, let me see those glasses.

Lyra...I knew it.

Tom....Whatever..

People behind us...Shutup!

at the Cincinnati Music Hall, i find that the very front of the first balcony is the best compromise. also has the most leg room.

Yeppers... That hall is a great place to hear orch music and the balacany is great as well. I saw Hilary Hahn there as well, can't remember what. I was a student at the College-Conservatory so i got tixs for free (it pays to date a viola alternate ;)