Amperex 7316

Rob N

They are really nice tubes, one of my favorite 12au7's. They are also built to last which is nice when you pay more for a tube. Though I will say I don't think the price premium is that bad, I haven't checked in a while but over the last year or two I'd been able to buy them for $75/ea and $35/ea from two separate tube dealers.

I have the small o-getter, large o-getter and d-getter versions of the amperex 7316 short plates. They have excellent prat, but sound a little bright in my system. The mids are warm and clear. They are nice tubes, but not worth paying a premium for. I prefer the telefunken's 12au7's I purchased from Dr. Gilmore because they have a more balanced sound. The 7316's midrange is superior however.

The orange globe 7316's are a good beginner tube. :P

Biggie.

I have the small o-getter, large o-getter and d-getter versions of the amperex 7316 short plates. They have excellent prat, but sound a little bright in my system. The mids are warm and clear. They are nice tubes, but not worth paying a premium for. I prefer the telefunken's 12au7's I purchased from Dr. Gilmore because they have a more balanced sound. The 7316's midrange is superior however.

The orange globe 7316's are a good beginner tube. :P

For a fuller sound, the cbs-hytron 5814a dual-mica black-plates square-getter tube is an amazing tube, if you can still find them on the cheap. Only my cbs 7318's best them.

Biggie.

Yes, they are great, linear and detail. I have different versions of them. I use many U7s on my cat SL1 signature including the best of the best (TFK ECC802s, GL B749, Mullard U7...), Amperex 7316 (BB, D getter and G clef version) is one of the most impressive.

However different tubes on different amps tend to perform very differently.

Every time I use the Amperex 7316, I say to myself that's pretty nice, but after a couple of hours, the mildly thick midrange and slightly uneven upper midrange bothers me enough to yank them.

My faves are still the 5814 (drop in replacements), and among them early Siemens and CBS.

Sometimes, with particular circuits, Electro Harmonix 12AU7 sounds surprisingly great and worth checking out at the lower prices.