Workout Playlist help

boomana

Since my trainer has decided to stick me on a stairmaster and/or elliptical thingy for one hour six days a week, I need tunes to get me through the tedium and misery. I absolutely HATE the let's-get-moving music gyms play (fortunately, I'm in her home and have no competing ugly music blasting). I hate club/dance music for the most part and music with programed drums. I just want to forget I'm on this damn thing and make the time disappear. I've had my ipod on shuffle, and have found that some songs, usually long ones, and ones I've known for years but still love seem to work best. I start listening, get happy, and time blows by. I want to create some playlists so I don't have to keep fumbling with the ipod every time something wrong comes on. I'm open to a lot (Beethoven's 9th was stunning), but here are a few that worked great the past couple days:

Sougourouni - Boubacar Traore

PPA - Rodrigo Y Gabriela

Baba O'Reilly - The Who

Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughn

The Weight - The Band

Who Knows - Hendrix/Band of Gypsies

No Quarter - Zeppelin

Whipping Post (live at the Fillmore) - Allman Brothers

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

...I absolutely HATE ... I hate ... I've ...found that some songs, usually long ones, and ones I've known for years but still love seem to work best.
So basically, you don't want "typical" workout songs and mention no criteria for success other than your familiarity...sounds like you just wanted us to picture you sweating.

Okay, I'll think about this and post something constructive later.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela rule. I'll have to add that to my favourite albums list -- I would suggest that whole album. I really like their take on "Orion", but that's my familiarity, not yours.

Devo

The Monks

Fear

B52s (older)

Lets Active

Midnight Oil

Tom Tom Club

Since my trainer has decided to stick me on a stairmaster and/or elliptical thingy for one hour six days a week, I need tunes to get me through the tedium and misery. I absolutely HATE the let's-get-moving music gyms play (fortunately, I'm in her home and have no competing ugly music blasting). I hate club/dance music for the most part and music with programed drums. I just want to forget I'm on this damn thing and make the time disappear. I've had my ipod on shuffle, and have found that some songs, usually long ones, and ones I've known for years but still love seem to work best. I start listening, get happy, and time blows by. I want to create some playlists so I don't have to keep fumbling with the ipod every time something wrong comes on. I'm open to a lot (Beethoven's 9th was stunning), but here are a few that worked great the past couple days:

Sougourouni - Boubacar Traore

PPA - Rodrigo Y Gabriela

Baba O'Reilly - The Who

Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughn

The Weight - The Band

Who Knows - Hendrix/Band of Gypsies

No Quarter - Zeppelin

Whipping Post (live at the Fillmore) - Allman Brothers

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

So basically, you don't want "typical" workout songs and mention no criteria for success other than your familiarity...sounds like you just wanted us to picture you sweating.

It's really a rather unattractive sight as I'm practically falling off the machines, and if I had the breath to curse, I'd be swearing like a sailor, so having anyone picturing that really wasn't my goal. :P

I'm more or less looking for suggestions for longer songs that have a bit of drive to them. Classic rock and blues-based tunes have so far taken the lead, but that would get boring after a couple days. A have a CD of a Flamenco guitar contest in Spain for prisoners where the winner get outs of prison, just gets to walk out. A couple songs from that worked great. I just wanna see what you guys have in mind. Expand my limited selection.

Devo

The Monks

Fear

B52s (older)

Lets Active

Midnight Oil

Tom Tom Club

New York's Alright If You Like Saxophones and I Don't Care About You were excellent, but the problem with Fear is that the songs are short and as soon as one ends, I end up looking at the damn timer and think I'm dying and no time has passed.

I can think of a couple Tom Tom Club and Devo tunes that might be good. Thanks. I've never heard of Lets Active.

New York's Alright If You Like Saxophones and I Don't Care About You were excellent, but the problem with Fear is that the songs are short and as soon as one ends, I end up looking at the damn timer and think I'm dying and no time has passed.

I can think of a couple Tom Tom Club and Devo tunes that might be good. Thanks. I've never heard of Lets Active.

Mitch Easter, produced early rem

Billy -- -10 reading comprehension points for you -- did you not see the part where she said she hates club/dance music? I would extrapolate that to trance and whatnot.

A have a CD of a Flamenco guitar contest in Spain for prisoners where the winner get outs of prison, just gets to walk out.
Title? This? That definitely looks interesting.

Yeah, like I said, I'll put some thought into it, but since our tastes aren't exactly parallel (not exactly orthogonal, neither), I have no idea if my suggestions would work.

Albums:

Friday Night in San Francisco -- Paco De Lucia / Al DiMeola / John Mclaughlin? (That's another one I need to add to my ridiculous list.)

Golden Earring, Moontan (the American version)?

Blue Man Group, Audio?

Songs:

Mike Oldfield, "Ommadawn Pt. 1"

Deep Purple, "April" (full version with 3 parts, second being orchestral -- I have no idea how it's broken up in iTunes or whatever) -- they have a couple other longer songs in their earlier stuff -- Shades of..., Book of Taliesyn, and Deep Purple

Queen, "Prophet Song"

Manfred Mann's Earth Band, "Time is Right" (actually that whole sequence from Nightingales & Bombers, "Spirits in the Night"/"Countdown"/"Time is Right" is really cool) -- see also "Road to Babylon", "Drowning on Dry Land/Fish Soup", "Chicago Institute", "Don't Kill it Carol", "Stranded"...

I have a live version of The Fixx playing like a 15 minute version of "The Fool".

Ministry, "So What"

Side one of the Vienna album by Ultravox, the alternate sequencing: "Sleepwalk"/"Passing Strangers"/"New Europeans"/"Private Lives"/"Astradyne" is nicely energetic if you're into that New Romantic thing, which IIRC you aren't (feel free to say so).

Here's a Pandora station based on those songs in your list that I could find. Not suggesting you try to hook up a computer at your trainers', but you could listen to it and see if it gives you ideas. It seems to be on a flamenco kick for me right now.

Thanks, Dusty. There's some I know, but hadn't thought about in forever (Manfred Mann, Ministry) and some I never heard. I recently gave my CD of Friday Night in San Francisco to a kid who was moving/driving from Florida to LA. Great driving music. You just reminded me to get another copy. That would be perfect.

no no techno and trance is like rave music, not club music. there is a difference when your tripping balls in some abandon warehouse with your head against a wall of subs pounding bass beats while you suck on your pacifier and check your glow sticks life length.

club music is euro or electro. that's when your at the hottest downtown club in full Guido attire dancing with yourself with the same arm movements over and over. you think your hot cause you just waxed your eye brows, you have a gallon of fake tanner on, and you have more hair gel in your head then there is water in lake Michigan.

you also randomly scream out a "yeah" when you get in the zone with a new beat...all while everyone laughs at you. now that's club music.

no no techno and trance is like rave music, not club music. there is a difference when your tripping balls in some abandon warehouse with your head against a wall of subs pounding bass beats while you suck on your pacifier and check your glow sticks life length.

club music is euro or electro. that's when your at the hottest downtown club in full Guido attire dancing with yourself with the same arm movements over and over. you think your hot cause you just waxed your eye brows, you have a gallon of fake tanner on, and you have more hair gel in your head then there is water in lake Michigan.

you also randomly scream out a "yeah" when you get in the zone with a new beat...all while everyone laughs at you. now that's club music.

Club music is definitely out. As for trance/techno, I'm not so sure. Last time I did anything worthy of sucking on a pacifier, it was still legal, I didn't need a pacifier, and I didn't need music, come to think of it, either. Do you have specific suggestions for me to check out?

I take a completely different approach to workout music, but then my workout is 180 degrees different. I have four days of weight training, two days of cardio, and one day off. Given the pain factor, I go for music that makes you grit your teeth, growl, and jam, such as Tool, Nine Inch Nails, 10 years. My old stand by, the sound track to Queen of the Dammed is in the mix as well. Something about the driving guitar and bass lines, not to mention the screaming vocals; works in tune with my screaming muscles, and when I can't, it does the screaming and cussing not possible with no oxy in the lungs. For something to make me space out and machine-like during steady state cardio (one day), Welcome to the Machine is great.

For home listening, my musical tastes have swung towards slightly trippy downtempo lounge genres, yet my old hard rock still lives on in my workout rigs.

Reads like you are in the thick of the program. Very cool.

You make them both sound so appealing. :-\

Club music is definitely out. As for trance/techno, I'm not so sure. Last time I did anything worthy of sucking on a pacifier, it was still legal, I didn't need a pacifier, and I didn't need music, come to think of it, either. Do you have specific suggestions for me to check out?

this is an example of tiesto type music. its like Diana krall or Sarah McLachlan jazz mixed with beats. Trance music has lots of remixes from jazz and blues artists like Jacintha for example. this video sounds like crap compared to the cd but you can get the idea of the music. this was a concert tiesto played in front of like 40,000 people or something..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfH9i-C9ico

here is another song from the same cd. little harder but the cd has low and high points.

the cd this track is off of is "Nyana" and its a double cd set. I have cd 2 on itunes in lossless if there is anyway i cant copy it and send it to you? i never sent a copied music over the net from itunes before...let me know if you want to and if there is a way.

I think Mama working out to some old Happy Hardcore would be pretty funny. :prettyprincess:

I still have these little yo-yo's i got for a rave i did years back. they are uv so when you twirl them around under black light While Rolling you ass they do look nice. it can give the arms some work while on a tread mill.

Raves were all about the candy flip.

I had a roommate in austin who made the mistake of going to a rave on 2 hits of acid I'd given him, when I'd suggested he start with 1/4 hit. He called me 4 hrs later in a panic...

I miss those doses, easily the best I've ever seen, and that says something :)