Rule of thumb for choosing speaker stands?

luvdunhill

I'm working on a pair of speakers that will be 13.5" high, 7" wide, and 14.75" deep at the base. What sort of rule of thumb do you use when choosing appropriate stands? These Dynaudio1 stands just showed up, but I'm not sure they'd be the best match:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accsrack&1208786474

Any recommendations?

well, other than height :) Actually, I'll be using a 2" dome mid and have been using that as listening height for the crossover calculations.

I guess I meant things like, how large should the top plate be in proportion to the speaker, construction, "features", etc.

Since you mentioned it though, what's a good "average ear height"? I think there was some number in a Vandersteen setup guide I used to have, but I no longer have it. I was assuming 38"-42".. 2" dome mid is 8.5" up the baffle, so 25" Dynaudio Stand1 probably is too low ...

When did oatmeal become FOTM?
Somewhere around 2/14
I guess I meant things like, how large should the top plate be in proportion to the speaker, construction, "features", etc.
These are not rules of thumb, these are MHO's:

plate == base of speaker -- I don't like overhang, because it seems less stable, but neither do I like the plate to be bigger -- the speaker baffle should not have any additional reflecting surfaces right there.

Construction == should be stable, inert, etc. (seems rather intuitive, not sure what you're looking for here). Shouldn't ring -- basically, same rules as would apply to the speaker cabinet.

I like three legs (as opposed to one, two, or four, etc.).

Most of the magazine writers swear by sand-fillable. I don't, but that's me.

• 1 month later...

just wanted to bump this thread, as I'm getting closer to finalizing the design for a pair of speakers. I've had great luck with placing the listening axis at the midrange driver. Of course there is no way to know what the speaker designer intended, but I would wager that this would be an interesting experiment for those with commercial stand mounted speakers.

Here's the FR of the midrange driver I am using:

[img width=150 height=91 alt=morel-mdm]http://www.head-case.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1999&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=ea03dac2fefb42c134d55fcca2b988df

Guest sacd lover

just wanted to bump this thread, as I'm getting closer to finalizing the design for a pair of speakers. I've had great luck with placing the listening axis at the midrange driver. Of course there is no way to know what the speaker designer intended, but I would wager that this would be an interesting experiment for those with commercial stand mounted speakers.

Here's the FR of the midrange driver I am using:

[img width=150 height=91 alt=morel-mdm]http://www.head-case.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1999&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=ea03dac2fefb42c134d55fcca2b988df

The usual method is for the axis of the tweeter to be at SEATED ear height = 36"-38" from the floor.

...this would be an interesting experiment for those with commercial stand mounted speakers...
...with a midrange. Alas, most of mine are two-ways, otherwise I'd take you up on that experiment.

Dali's, for one, or not intended to be listened to on-axis, they are intended to be pointed straight ahead, and listened to off-axis slightly. I think it's manufacturer-specific.

...with a midrange. Alas, most of mine are two-ways, otherwise I'd take you up on that experiment.

Dali's, for one, or not intended to be listened to on-axis, they are intended to be pointed straight ahead, and listened to off-axis slightly. I think it's manufacturer-specific.

agreed. It just seems that since tweeters have relatively good off-axis response, and the upper end of the midranges have some break-up, that it makes sense to establish the listening axis with the midrange, especially when using shallow slopes, like I will be (first-order).