Metallica MFSL Half Speed Mastered Vinyl April 15th

postjack

i'd be all up for a remix, but that won't happen. the megadeth "countdown" mfsl remix sounds fucking awesome, i'll buy the vinyl if it ever comes out.

The way they should have released the heavy vinyl is by limited edition box limited to 2500 copies hand signed only by Lars for $300 each, so that people would buy them and sell them on ebay for $2000 even before the vinyl ships :kitty:

The way they should have released the heavy vinyl is by limited edition box limited to 2500 copies hand signed only by Lars for $300 each, so that people would buy them and sell them on ebay for $2000 even before the vinyl ships :kitty:

HOLY SHIT THE GHOSTS BOX IS GOING FOR $2000 ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

• 1 month later...

the reviews at sh.tv are poor. They say the overall sound is thin and lacking bass. They keep saying the DCC of RTL is "richer". I probably won't be buying if these reviews keep up. I'll just hunt down original vinyl issues. I already have the megaforce Kill Em All and it rocks.

this last weekend, i bought kill 'em all at amoeba for $14 (not the 45). besides the recording being a bit low requiring I crank the volume noticeably more than usually and this particular lp having more noise than normal, which might go away with a cleaning or possibly I need to do an exchange, it sounds pretty nice and worth the $14 to me. Though, I have no clue what the original pressing or other copies might sound like, but will soon spin my redbook copy on the Reimyo.

this last weekend, i bought kill 'em all at amoeba for $14 (not the 45). besides the recording being a bit low requiring I crank the volume noticeably more than usually and this particular lp having more noise than normal, which might go away with a cleaning or possibly I need to do an exchange, it sounds pretty nice and worth the $14 to me. Though, I have no clue what the original pressing or other copies might sound like, but will soon spin my redbook copy on the Reimyo.

Cool, I forgot about the cheaper 33 1/3s. I might pick RTL up then.

the reviews at sh.tv are poor. They say the overall sound is thin and lacking bass. They keep saying the DCC of RTL is "richer". I probably won't be buying if these reviews keep up. I'll just hunt down original vinyl issues. I already have the megaforce Kill Em All and it rocks.

I downloaded the needle drop in the SH thread, it does sound bad :-[

• 5 months later...
Reviving a dead thread to say that I got Master of Puppets yesterday at my record shop, and it pretty much rules. Need to burn a DCC CD off my computer and do the comparison, probably tomorrow.

Looking forward to your comparisons. Professional reviews seem good, while the overwhelming opinion at sh is they suck. Since my last post in this thread I've picked up an original Elektra vinyl of AJFA, but I'm still missing MoP, RTL, and Black Album (which is essential to me, anyway).

The midrange guitar tone on the megaforce Kill 'Em All is so righteous.

to hungry: this is a wild guess, but I'd say not much of a difference. Sounds like a 45 is king when one has a revealing system and wants to scrounge that last bit of audiophile oomph from the sound. The argument is that with a 45 there is less chance for distortion all around, but the argument seems about as strong as the whole 180g vs standard weight thing, which is to say not strong at all. it may FEEL nicer to have a 180g vinyl, but we all know we've heard normal weight vinyls that rock house and 180g that fall short (and vice versa!)

Ok so here it is: As of now I can't decide.

Steve's DCC remaster sticks to that 80's thin sound, just cleans it up quite a bit (I did an ABX in Foobar with the DCC and the original CD). The MFSL bumps up the midrange quite a bit and goes for a more modern metal attack that doesn't always work. In the clean slow section of the title track I prefer the MFSL vinyl quite a bit. In the main solo that follows, I also prefer the MFSL because they planted the solo right on top of the mix, instead of buried like on the original CD and the DCC. Granted that does wash out some of what the rest of the band was doing... you could argue that the drums are just as important as the guitar during that solo and they do get buried a bit on the vinyl. Similar results with Orion, which for the most part is a cleaner sound than the rest of the album. The MFSL wins there easily.

Rest of the album with the chunky 16th note guitar attack, I'll take the DCC. The MFSL's added midrange and bass gets quite messy during all this. Vocals sound congested compared to the crisp 80's sound.

So there ya have it, MFSL tries to modernize an 80's album and manages to really succeed for about 20% of the running time.

All listening done with the metal-master ATH-ESW9 headphones and a Corda Move2. Quintete switchbox used to A/B.