Active vs. Passive speakers?

fierce_freak

• 1 month later...

Honestly I've been thinking about Active vs. Passive for a long time now. Sorry for threadjacking but could anyone offer some advice?

I've been looking at the Audioengine 5 Speaker System active speakers which goes for $349.00 MSRP; however, I took more time to look around and discovered the Sierra-1 Bamboo Loudspeaker passive speakers for $848 MSRP which looks appealing to me.

I'm not sure what type of speakers need what type of amps to drive them. I know it is much simpler and less troublesome to purchase the actives and be done with it, but I would rather wait a bit and buy the Sierra-1 if the price : performance ratio is better.

Can anyone tell me what amp would I need for the Sierra-1 and advice for Active vs. Passive in my case.

Thanks,

Nenso

Ah, a barmar thread revival once again...I'm about to buy those atc 20-2 active speakers. Jacob turned me in the general direction of considering a speaker system and I did some detectiver and er, well, not to brag but I got the one and only new pair in the USandA to be discounted at over 50%(yes still too much, but I'm jazzed) All my research points to these working for me. Now...do the same principles of scale and synergy apply with the speakers as they do with the headphone world. I may have lost the opportunity/or chosen to loose(long story not involving Tom Waits)the Examplar Denon 3910 tube stage output mod cd player. Look for another of same or is there something in the $1500-2500 used on Audiogon seem more applicable with an active speaker set up. (I wasn't sure whether this should post on Source forum but I'm very curious how the discusion turns to the active speaker consideration. Oh, and again per Jacob I am looking at a couple of BAT preamps on Audiogon.