My search dissapeared in windows xp

Thanks for the idea. I tried, but no dice.

My system restore would be from over a month ago, so I'm not yet willing to go that route.

Biggie.

Ah drat :(. I found this off a website as well. In only applies if it tells you a system file is missing. I've used this command to fix other system related issues as well.

RE: When I try to use the Search function, Windows tells me that a file necessary to run the search function cannot be found and that I have to run setup to fix it.

If Windows ever reports that a system file is missing, the solution is to execute "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) from the Run prompt [start -> Run] to fix this error message. The command "sfc /scannow" tells Windows to perform a complete Windows file check and replace any missing or corrupt OS files to original Microsoft specifications. Note that you'll need the Windows XP CD to complete this task.

The other thing to do and it will fix it is to use the repair function on the Windows XP install CD. It doesn't overwrite anything, but puts back the necessary system files that may be missing. If you need more details let me know. Also, when doing anything I would create a restore point and backup the registry. Good to be safe than sorry. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...