RS1's?

Chekhonte

I came into some money recently and I'm considering the purchase of a pair of RS1's. My currently favorite headphone is the MS2i. I live in a town where I can't audition them with out traveling around an hour and a half which I don't want to do. In your opinion do you think I'll benefit from this upgrade?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For one the RS1 are much lighter, so your listening sessions would be less fatiguing. When moving from the SR325i (I never owned the MIS2i) I felt the sound gained in richness and overall the music delivery appeared more "elegant" and effortless. Head-stage had more definition.

So in other words, if you find a good deal on a RS1--> Dew eet. I never looked back myself. I remember I sold my original pair of RS1, but them I missed them a lot actually, so I ended up getting another pair around 6 months after. Now, I have 3 pairs! :palm:

keep in mind that they aren't all-rounders (great for rock and small ensembe jazz, for instance), and they have to have flats.

You know, I don't know about that. I keep rotating flats/bowls, and I keep coming back to bowls after a while. Maybe it's that I am getting old and my treble sensors are wearing out.

that's good to know reks. I do listen to a lot of orchestral and chamber music. Most music I listen to is rock though. I haven't found a great headphone that I've liked with classical. I've owned a pair of HD600's and 650's but I really never got into them all that much. They are much better with classical than my MS2i's but not enough to warrant my keeping them. Granted it may be my gear that sullied my experience with the senns, but I'm not one to build a rig around a pair of headphones that will never be good for but one type of music.

EDIT: I will also definitely be buying a used pair when one comes up for sale here or at the other place.

I came into some money recently and I'm considering the purchase of a pair of RS1's. My currently favorite headphone is the MS2i. I live in a town where I can't audition them with out traveling around an hour and a half which I don't want to do. In your opinion do you think I'll benefit from this upgrade?

I think you should buy RS-1s and sell me your MS-2s

i haven't heard the no button'ed version, but i agree with the classic design. i'm not sure about "kicks asses," though, but the older ones are definitely smoother to my ears.

I did a short comparison between the 1995-ish and the 2005-ish RS-1s and there was easily a discernible improvement between the two. There was another pair which was between the two and it sounded more like the 1995 version then the 2005 version.

God, every time I ask a question in a hope to come to a better understanding about audio gear I only get more confused and my ability to make a decision becomes more labored.

I think the answer may be easier if you consider the following:

-The odds of scoring a vintage brown/golden RS1 at a reasonable price are very low to almost null.

-The newer RS1 with buttons and w/o buttons really do not sound that radically different to my ears. [i think the buttonless are a bit faster and more open, but that my be just my imagination, I have not done a serious comparison] In terms of treble energy and bass, they are not that different to my ears.

I think the answer may be easier if you consider the following:

-The odds of scoring a vintage brown/golden RS1 at a reasonable price are very low to almost null.

-The newer RS1 with buttons and w/o buttons really do not sound that radically different to my ears. [i think the buttonless are a bit faster and more open, but that my be just my imagination, I have not done a serious comparison] In terms of treble energy and bass, they are not that different to my ears.

I'm probably not going to try and find a vintage pair. They are either way over priced or gone in minutes. I also don't want to risk a short in the Y connector. I've had three pairs of grado's and friends that have had 2 pair. Out of those 5, 2 of the Y connectors have had a short in them. Thems ain't good odds. It's good to know that you didn't notice that great of a difference between the old and new Rs1's. I don't have great ears so I'm sure that I wouldn't notice much of a difference either.