RS1's?

Chekhonte

Comparing the selling prices for the Grado HP-X vs Graso SR/RS series, it is easy to imagine that the [margin of earnings/production costs] ratio is much greater with the current line. I think even taking into account inflation, the Joe grado cans were over-engineered for the task thus reducing the profit margin. This of course is in my humble speculating opinion, as I have no hard facts to substantiate any claims :P

I agree with this. I can't imagine it was cheap to manufacture those HP-1000 enclosures.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No serial numbers. Real vintage ones came in wooden boxes, had brown leather headbands and golden letters

why don't these have gold lettering? Are they not real vintage?

FS: Vintage Grado RS-1 with wooden box PRICE DROP - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Does anybody have a pic of the gold lettering of which you speak?

Edit: Shit, now there are a pair of msPros for sale used. They never come up. Unfortunately there are so few impressions of them and in those few the reviewer seems to always slightly prefer the RS1. Man oh man having spare money sure does stink! ;)

FS: Vintage Grado RS-1 with wooden box PRICE DROP - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Edit: Shit, now there are a pair of msPros for sale used. They never come up. Unfortunately there are so few impressions of them and in those few the reviewer seems to always slightly prefer the RS1. Man oh man having spare money sure does stink! ;)

notorious_b_i_g_the-mo_money_mo_problems--single--big.jpg

That's an outrageous price, no wonder he hasn't sold them :palm:

When the only way to get something is to convince someone who has one and obviously likes it to sell, it can get expensive. Is there anything about the 1 remaining luger .45acp that makes it a great gun? No, the US rejected it because it was a finicky piece of crap. But there's only 1 left, and it's worth well north of a million dollars.

Maybe the new ones just need to be burned in moar.

Or perhaps the flexibility of the material that makes up the transducer changes over time. Who the hell knows. I'm at such a loss as to what to do that it's silly.

Dudes... I thought the whole point was to keep these things at reasonable prices. A vintage RS-1 shouldn't cost that much. Don't let the hype overwhelm your good judgment.

yeah, that's good advice. I feel the pull of hype and it sometimes makes me loose sight of what is reasonable. I'm going to set on this decision until i get back from vacation in late august. Please feel free to throw in your 2 cents, all of your input is albeit dumbfounding to me, it's also enlightening somehow at the same time.

Hype is relative...what should and shouldn't cost that much is relative. How much anything should cost can only be determined by the buyer and what you're willing to pay for it. Given that I've heard most of the headphones out there and taking into account what each of them costs, I'm still pretty happy with my vintage pair.

The problem comes down to you not knowing what value you should place on the RS1 because you don't know what they sound like.

While you may never be able to audition a vintage pair, you can see what a current pair sounds like.

If I were you, I'd just spend the 1 1/2 hour and audition them. That's the only way you'll know what you'll be getting for $500+ that you'll be spending on them regardless of what version you get.

I wouldn't recommend even thinking about a vintage until you've spent some time with the RS1s and know what you're getting into. I only decided to get the vintage pair after owning the recent production versions of the RS1 a couple of times and then hearing a vintage pair at a meet earlier this year.