Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro 1st impression

hirsch

Just got my UE10's. This is my first impression with a set made using my...impressions. First (sonic) impression is pretty much the same as I got at the National meet using a generic seal, but better still. These things are incredible. An IEM with real low end. Loads more detail than ER4s. Can be driven by pretty much anything. Not as isolating as the Ety's, but very nice sonic upgrade.

Just got my UE10's. This is my first impression with a set made using my...impressions. First (sonic) impression is pretty much the same as I got at the National meet using a generic seal, but better still. These things are incredible. An IEM with real low end. Loads more detail than ER4s. Can be driven by pretty much anything. Not as isolating as the Ety's, but very nice sonic upgrade.

Not as isolating as the ER4's? I thought custom molds were supposed to give better isolation?

Did you hear the E500's at the National meet as well?

Does the ultra-low impedence present any sort of challenge for amplification? Apparently not from your comments, but can you detect much differences from various amps?

So far, I've only used one amp (Earmax Pro, at work). Hey, I've only owned them for one day! The EMP has no trouble at all with the low impedance, but that's the only amp I can talk about so far. Actually, they are sensitive enough that I have to compensate by reducing the volume (control is lower than I would use on any other headphone).

The custom molds give a great fit, but not necessarily better isolation. With no music playing, I can hear someone talking if they're close to me. Doesn't happen with ER4s.

The sensas are the same regarding isolation. Most people, including myself, find the isolation not as "sound proof" as, say my E3C with foamies. However, this is not an issue for me because the isolation is more than good enough with music playing. This is actually a "feature" as you can somewhat carry a conversation by turning off the music without removing them.

Congrats!

I need to try these sometime. They seem like they'll be just my type of sound. I was interested by the things that the UE guy said at the Head-Fi National Meet. He seemed to have kept repeating that people who listen to rock and rap will hate the UE-10 and that the super.fi's would be perfect on the other hand. I've only heard the super.fi 5 pro and I was disgusted. It had way too much bass even for rock and rap for my taste. So maybe the UE-10 will be perfect... :D