PS audio DAC ultra link

peanutbutterjam

If you were listening with itunes, and not quitting and restarting itunes after changing sample rates, you'll end up using itunes resampling instead of core audio resampling, which is terrible.

Right. We were using USB and optical out both set for 16/44.1 since it was ripped CDs. I just don't know if he ripped at 128 or 320 Kbps or if lossless.

I was just reporting on what Blutarsky and I heard on his Mac Mini > USB Stello DA100 > Melos SHA Gold > HP-1000.

I neglected to ask him when we did this (last summer) what bit rate his music was that we were using - I wonder if that would make a difference in how the upsampling bypassed sounds. What do you think?

I doesn't seem to make a difference what bit rate. You can readily hear the difference on internet radio as well.

Another thing I'm not sure about is if USB sounds thinner than optical. My general impression is that USB on the Stello sounds a little cleaner than optical, using DS:USB Audio DAC or ASIO4ALL.

Shuttle computer > optical and USB > Stello DA100 > GS-1 > 650s and 880s.

USG