digital optical cable connector question

guzziguy

I'm trying to run the sound from my set top box to my home theater receiver. I'd like to use the receiver's digital optical input so I get 5.1 (it's the only input my receiver has that will allow this. My set top box has an optical output, so it should be easy. I ordered a digital optical cable from Monoprice. Today I tried to connect them. The connectors go into the socket, but won't stay in place. I see no locking mechanism, which seems pretty strange to me. I must be doing something wrong as everybody would have thrown out optical digital a long time ago if the physical connections were this fragile. Can anybody tell me what the trick is to use connect this cable?

Thanks.

Did you get the premium optical cables with gigantic connectors? It should kind of lock if you push it in all the way, and I like to get their nonpremium optical cables since they'll never not go in.

Hi Hiroshi. Nope, I got their cheapest cables. I guess I'll have to try again, but I doubt it will matter. I suspect I'll have to try different cables at some point.

Edit: Nope, doesn't help. On the set top box, it kind of locks but is a very fragile connection. Move the box or cable wrong, and it's out. It won't even stay in the receiver's socket, no sense of locking at all. In fact, there's no sense of a semi-solid connection at all. :(

Edited by guzziguy

Did you get the premium optical cables with gigantic connectors? It should kind of lock if you push it in all the way, and I like to get their nonpremium optical cables since they'll never not go in.

I just checked again and I seemed to have ordered a $3.36 "premium" optical cable. I'll order a nonpremium ($1.74) toslink cable and see how that works.

Just go to Radio Shack.

And can you give us names and model numbers?

That works to for trying a different cable, I'll head by Radio Shack. I'm trying to connect a Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC set top box and the receiver from a Samsung HT-TX715T Home Theater.

Edited by guzziguy
Corrected the receiver model number

Offhand, they both look standard -- I don't know why they're not working.

Since the connectors only "kind of" lock into the set top box and not at all into the receiver, it's likely (I really hope) to be a cable issue. If not, the receiver will spend some time at a Samsung repair facility in the near future.

I went by Rat Shack today to look for a cheap toslink cable. Their web page suggest that all I would find in their B&M stores would be Monster cables. Sure enough, the cheapest 3' cable was a Monster going for $28 plus tax. :mad: I can wait for the new Monoprice cable to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday.

I went by Rat Shack today to look for a cheap toslink cable. Their web page suggest that all I would find in their B&M stores would be Monster cables. Sure enough, the cheapest 3' cable was a Monster going for $28 plus tax. :mad: I can wait for the new Monoprice cable to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday.
That sucks.

Yes, eschew Monster. They used to have their own lines -- "Rat Shack gold" or something (yes, even the optical was called gold). I looked on their site -- looks like they don't have it no mo'.

That sucks.

Yes, eschew Monster. They used to have their own lines -- "Rat Shack gold" or something (yes, even the optical was called gold). I looked on their site -- looks like they don't have it no mo'.

Eschew hell, I fucking won't buy Monster. Rat Shack has a $10.00 non-Monster cable that is "web only". I'd rather buy a different Monoprice or BJC cable instead.

Since the connectors only "kind of" lock into the set top box and not at all into the receiver, it's likely (I really hope) to be a cable issue. If not, the receiver will spend some time at a Samsung repair facility in the near future.

Hi guzziguy, I had exactly the same issue before with TOSLINK, though that was between my DAC and computer. My original cable had refused to lock in. I have since found another cable that works, and trying out some other cables from friends I can only conclude that there was some problem with the orginal cable, and thankfully not the jack on the DAC or com. Apparently the locking nub on the jack was too small.

Hope yours turn out well too.

I'd bet on Tuesday or something since Monoprice is in California :)

You were right Hiroshi, the cable came today. I figured that it wouldn't get into the mail in Chino until Monday evening and so wouldn't get here until tomorrow. Shows what I know. :rolleyes:

Hi guzziguy, I had exactly the same issue before with TOSLINK, though that was between my DAC and computer. My original cable had refused to lock in. I have since found another cable that works, and trying out some other cables from friends I can only conclude that there was some problem with the orginal cable, and thankfully not the jack on the DAC or com. Apparently the locking nub on the jack was too small.

Hope yours turn out well too.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

OK, I just tried the Monoprice "non-premium" $1.57 3' cable. It locks securely both into the receiver and into the set top box. Even better, it actually works. Now I can route the cable sound track to the home theater.

Now I'm not so down on the toslink jack/plug mechanism. I think that a coax digital cable makes a more secure connection but now it's not as important to me, as this will suffice. Plus, it's not like I have a choice here. :palm:

• 2 months later...
i have the 30' premium with "fancy metal connectors," and it works as it should.

Latest update. I tried the "Premium" cable with the PS3 that we bought. It won't latch there either. I just ordered two 6' cheapo cables from Monoprice, one to hook the PS3 to the cheapo Monoprice optical switch and one to connect the switch to the THX receiver. No more "Premium" cables for me. I'll take the one I have to the next meet and try to give it away.

I was going to joke that I couldn't afford the upgrade to Bluejeans optical digital cables. Then I checked the price and see that a 6' cable is 8x the cost of the equivalent Monoprice cable. That's not funny. :(

On the plus side for BJ cables, they are currently having a sale on HDMI cables. Their price beats Monoprice by $4 or so.