RAM modifications

Guest sacd lover

Guest sacd lover

I am thinking about upgrading one of my E5's. I like the sacdmods zap filter/ LC audio clock combination but I was curious about RAM. First, has anyone had any experience with this company in general; good or bad.

Secondly, they do a transformer type modification to the output stage of the E5. Since they claim they remove all the transistors, op amps etc.. what drives the trasformers? Are they driven directly from the dac chip itself? Has anyone eve heard a RAM player with this output transformer type output stage? I am definitely intrigued by this clearly different approach.

www.referanceaudiomods.com ..... just click the E5 link and you can read all about the $750 balanced output stage mod.

Anyone considering the LC audio clock may also want to take a look at Lars Clausen's new company www.newclassd.com as he has another clock design he has released under that name that looks quite a bit more impressive. I've been meaning to contact him for a while to make sure that he is not designing any new output stages before I buy the ZapFilter. :D

Guest sacd lover

For all the RAM mods I've seen there is always a pair of op-amps doing the I/V before the transformers.

Ok that makes total sense. Any idea about the sound quality?

Guest sacd lover

Here is a pic of the inside of a fully modded E5 by them.

IMG_1020.jpg

Is it me or do wood blocks glued to the chassis to mount the componenets seem cheesy? :D The transformers do look much cleaner than the stock output stage.

Secondly, they do a transformer type modification to the output stage of the E5. Since they claim they remove all the transistors, op amps etc.. what drives the trasformers? Are they driven directly from the dac chip itself? Has anyone eve heard a RAM player with this output transformer type output stage? I am definitely intrigued by this clearly different approach.

Haven't heard one from RAM, but I have heard a CD player (Biggie's) with transformer outputs, and it is the best CD player I've ever heard, and this includes Naim gear and the Class? Delta series. As I understand it the transformers get driven off the DAC chip(s), which filters out the ultrasonic noise and makes the sound smoother and more natural. Downside being the output voltage is a bit lower and it may have some difficulty driving long cable runs.

Transformer quality is critical, don't let them cheap out on you, get the good stuff like Lundahls.

Guest sacd lover

Haven't heard one from RAM, but I have heard a CD player (Biggie's) with transformer outputs, and it is the best CD player I've ever heard, and this includes Naim gear and the Class? Delta series. As I understand it the transformers get driven off the DAC chip(s), which filters out the ultrasonic noise and makes the sound smoother and more natural. Downside being the output voltage is a bit lower and it may have some difficulty driving long cable runs.

Transformer quality is critical, don't let them cheap out on you, get the good stuff like Lundahls.

Here is the company they source the transformers from but the model they use on the E5 is unclear. ???

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/audioconsulting/audio_consulting_audio_transformers.htm

I would suggest changing out the RAM. Most components these days use cheap RAM made in countries where the cost of production is lower. This RAM is made to fit basic electrical specifications and is not appropriate for audio use.

I would suggest RAM from G.skill as being good. I've used it before and the sound is rich but yet not overpowering.

...oh wait, you're talking about referenceaudiomods

I would suggest changing out the RAM. Most components these days use cheap RAM made in countries where the cost of production is lower. This RAM is made to fit basic electrical specifications and is not appropriate for audio use.

I would suggest RAM from G.skill as being good. I've used it before and the sound is rich but yet not overpowering.

...oh wait, you're talking about referenceaudiomods

LOL. I actually thought you were being serious for a sec.

I thought you had the tube outputs on that thing Todd? Boy it sure sounds tube like to me. Very warm , mellow, and detailed.

It sounds that way because you arn't hearing all the grunge introduced by the cheap analogue stage anymore. You get a more natural, detailed (real detail not bright highs), and overall effortless sound.

Biggie.