PPX3 SLAM vs. MAD Ear+HD

Bob_McBob

So much for a cheap amp upgrade...

As the topic says, I'm now trying to decide between the Singlepower PPX3 SLAM and the Mapletree Ear+Purist HD. I would have to find the Singlepower amp second hand to be able to afford it, probably in Canada (a long shot but I can wait). The Ear+HD is not worth buying used since I can get it tax-free here, and I seriously doubt I would be able to buy it second hand from a Canadian. They would likely end up being about the same price.

As I said in the previous thread, I currently own RS-1s and UM2s, and I will probably be picking up some Senns or Beyers in the not-too-distant future to see how I like them. However, RS-1s are my primary listening headphones, and I don't see that changing any time soon. The Ear+HD comes up in pretty much every discussion about RS-1 amps, and it definitely has a cult following. The same can be said for the Singlepower amp, though. I had a chat with tkam on IRC and came to the conclusion that the Singlepower amp would probably be the better of the two if I could find one, and I'm wondering what other people think. I was checking out some old head-fi threads on Singlepower amps, and it seems there was quite a contraversy over their design and internal construction a couple of years ago. Someone posted photos of supposed "sloppy wiring" and such and claimed that they don't work well with low impedance headphones, though PFK tells me the thread is full of RSA fanboys ::)

Any thoughts? Also, what if I were offered a non-SLAM PPX3? Thanks again, guys.

Guest sacd lover

Point 1 ..... the amps have been assembled on circuit boards for almost two years now .... so the wiring issue is a moot point. I have looked at the wiring inside my old chassis Supra and MPX3 and its nothing like the close up shot in the wiring threads. I could figure out where thing were going and I am no expert with layouts. Furthermore, some of the wire runs the "EXPERTS" from head-fi ::) couldnt figure out were to a central grounding point.

Point 2 ..... The SLAM uses 5687 output tubes vs the 6sn7's referanced in those old threads. The 5687 is 2.5x more powerful than a 6sn7 and has a lower output impedence. The 5687's drive grados with ease.

Point 3 ..... I have a friend who builds ear+ amps for fun. He works on oil rigs in the gulf and when he takes off for an extended leave he sometimes lets me borrow one; usually for a month or so. I have heard both a basically stock ear+ and and a heavily modded ear+. I dont think the ear+ amp touches the SLAM. The SLAM is more revealing, detailed and refined. The ear+ was also not a very rich sounding amp in my system. I think the tonality is little thin; more so modded. I still think the ear+ is a good amp and an excellent value and I will probably get one to mess with someday. But the SLAM doesnt cost that much more than the ear+ and the SLAM is more resolving and more musical .... IMO.

The more I think about it the more I feel the PPX3 SLAM is the way to go. I have a WTB ad up on head-fi, but it is complicated because I will have to find a Canadian seller in order to afford it. If it has indeed gone up to $900, I may not even be able to buy it at this time. In that case, I wonder if it would be better to just buy an Ear+HD and be done with it -- probably not, better to wait and save. I sent an e-mail to Mikhail asking about current Singlepower pricing.

Wow, that thing is huge. According to his site it costs $700 and he doesn't take credit cards, so it may be beyond my means at the moment. I would have to find out whether he charges tax on Canadian orders, too (MAD doesn't). Still... how does it sound? >:D Compared to PPX3 SLAM?

By the way, should I consider buying a 2 year old PPX3 with SLAM adapters and lots of upgrades? I e-mailed Mikhail, and he told me that it is a point to point model as he started building them with PCBs the next month. I am kind of wary of buying a point to point Singlepower amp, but I'm afaid it may be the only offer I'll get from another Canadian for anything close to the actual SLAM.

Wow, that thing is huge. According to his site it costs $700 and he doesn't take credit cards, so it may be beyond my means at the moment. I would have to find out whether he charges tax on Canadian orders, too (MAD doesn't).
If MAD doesn't charge tax that is sort of against the law is it not? :P

As for the no credit cards thing... you could just eat the $2 fee and do a cash advance.

Still... how does it sound? >:D Compared to PPX3 SLAM?
It drives my K340's better than the PPX SLAM did, and sounds great. Beyond that I can't say much as it has been months since I have heard one of Mikhails amps.

Guest sacd lover

Wow, that thing is huge. According to his site it costs $700 and he doesn't take credit cards, so it may be beyond my means at the moment. I would have to find out whether he charges tax on Canadian orders, too (MAD doesn't). Still... how does it sound? >:D Compared to PPX3 SLAM?

By the way, should I consider buying a 2 year old PPX3 with SLAM adapters and lots of upgrades? I e-mailed Mikhail, and he told me that it is a point to point model as he started building them with PCBs the next month. I am kind of wary of buying a point to point Singlepower amp, but I'm afaid it may be the only offer I'll get from another Canadian for anything close to the actual SLAM.

I definitely would. The P2P amps are the best sounding and easiest to update and repair. As for reliability .... I have two of the older P2P mpx3's in the old steel chassis and they have been 100% reliable, after three years. In fact, I have five P2P amps of different vintages that are working perfectly. Everyone forgets the P2P thread was an attack to discredit. None of the SP owners had any complaints and none of the amps were giving anyone any trouble. I think its a shame he had to go away from P2P.

DO NOT get the paper-in-oil coupling caps with the SLAM PPX3. The amp sounds much better with the standard orange drop coupling caps and is much easier to tuberoll. ;)

Well, it is really a pain in the ass (and wallet) to send a heavy amp back to the States for servicing, and especially annoying to have to send it back right after buying it (apparently it has already been back once for an "imbalance" caused by a corroded tube socket). Plus, I wonder if Mikhail would charge for the downgrade... When you say that Mikhail stands by his amps, this one has under a year of warranty left on it, and I don't relish the thought of having to send it back yet again if something else went screwy. However, it IS a good deal considering the rising cost of Singlepower amps, even though it is not a real SLAM.

I have pretty much discounted the Ear+HD because I am trying to find an upgrade I will want to hold onto for some time, and I have horrible visions of selling it and buying a SLAM six months down the line. After I buy this amp, I will be saving up again for a few months, and hoping to get together a mini-meet in the area to hear a few sources so I can choose one to buy.

You know, I have been checking out that McAlister meet thread, as well as the site, and the PL10 looks pretty nifty :o Philodox, can you tell me whether he charges sales tax on top of his prices for Canadian orders? Dr. Lloyd of MAD essentially "discounts" Canadian amp orders by the cost of the sales tax, so he pays it himself.

Update: xand1x pointed out a Veda Audio Dynahi SA for sale on head-fi, and I grabbed it.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194974

I even managed to get out of paying $100 more in tax and shipping by having it sent to my dad, who is conveniently staying about 150 miles from the seller until Friday. So, no amp more amp questions for a little while anyway. In a few months, we can talk sources >:D

I hate to be a party pooper and all but a Dynahi? Granted I've never heard one with an RS-1, but to date I've heard two of them with an HP-2 and my Grado 225 and I was not particularly happy with the combos. Yes it's detailed, extended, dynamic and so forth, but it doesn't do the full wrap-around soundstage of a good tube amp. It doesn't have the "reach out and touch it feel", then again, not much does. Also, better check the gain on the amp unless you want your ears blown out, I couldn't listen to one on the stock gain with Grados, way, way, way too loud.

It has a gain switch installed for low impedance headphones. I'm not sure it is the best amp ever for Grados, but it was hard to pass up such a good deal, especially with the potential of importing it without paying tax (which makes it very hard to try out new gear and sell it without a huge loss). Now I will definitely have to try some other headphones >_<