Help with Upgrade

Spanimal Rebirth

Hi all.

I am looking at purchasing better headphones to justify purchasing the Bryston DAC, which i purchased to justify purchasing Audioquest Cheetah cables...

I currently own 650, 595, 701 and shure 530. My amps are Cayin HA1 and BCL. I am currently loving the K701 with the Cayin amp. I listened to the Shure 530's the other day with BCL amp and came to a realisation that they have superior bass (low and tight) and midrange detail than anything else, whilst the 701 have the top end and uppermidrange detail. I want a phone to be able to combine the two traits.

Over the counter purchases are my only option. There are two contenders.

Senheiser 800 - detail top end, better bottom than 701.

Denon ADH 7000 - Bass like only a closed phone can do.

My mind is entertaining the thought of selling the lot and settle on Stax Omega 2s

What are your opinions?

PS. I am grateful to be allowed back - I can't even view posts at head-fi for information, and I was banned FOREVER! :confused:

I could order over the counter - I thought perhaps I could receive some tips from actual users, particularly those who may have the privilege of owning any of the same headphones I have mentioned. Then perhaps I would request an order for audition. If I like - I buy. This is not stupid, but rather, quite simple.

I don't know what you have against me, but please - pick on someone else.

Pick on? And this coming from the guy who likes to call people fags for fun. Seriously.

I'm actually giving you good advice. You're talking about only two headphones, not like you're trying to narrow things down from a list of ten. You know about both the HD800s and K7000s enough to have short-listed them, which means you've already read enough about them to have done that. Starting a thread asking for "tips" from users either tells me that you needs to learn how to read better, or that you're lazy and want others to spoon feed you. You said would buy from a store, which means you can probably listen to them. These are high-end, and rather expensive headphones. It is truly stupid to not just go and do that if you're trying to decide for yourself.

I'm also going to suggest you not be a whiny asshole here. You're exactly one whiny asshole post away from us not wanting you around here either, at least not having to read your posts. Re-read your welcome pm, this time with your comprehension hat on.

Unless you also have the time and money to acquire a proper amp for the Stax OII, throw that idea out the window. Proper amps include: SRM-717, KGSS, KGBH, BHSE, or WES.

You might as well just buy whatever headphones you're thinking of trying, and sell the one you don't like. The D7000 might not be too hard to buy used on HF, not sure about the HD800 since the ones I've seen went pretty quickly. (HeadRoom also has a b-stock D7000 right now at $589 incidentally.) You might also consider either the Audio-Technica AD2000 or the AKG K340. The K340 sounds pretty good out of the Cayin HA-1A when set to Ultralinear (assuming that's the model you have), but that amp isn't quite as good with low-impedance headphones like Audio-Technicas or Grados (and presumably, Denons too). I also previously owned the Lehmann BCL and found it not that great with low-impedance headphones - it worked better with my AKGs at the time and I suspect it'd be ok for Senns as well.

PS. I am grateful to be allowed back - I can't even view posts at head-fi for information, and I was banned FOREVER! :confused:

Anyone can view posts on HF so I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you should try not logging in, if that's what you're doing.

And here's another tip: maybe you should try to attend the next Head-Fi meet in Australia.

I just read a review of the WES with Stax 007. Apparently the differences between the stax and other conventional headphones were huge - in the favour of stax. But the price!!! I am developing an itch on my back. I am so intrigued by electrstatics - never heard them and do not know anyone that carries them. My eternal search for more "air" in the sound perhaps dynamic phones may never give me what I crave. But apparently electrostatics don't do bass - but I need low tight bass - perhaps the technology just isn't there yet?

Attending a HF meet in Australia - now thats a great idea! I wonder when and where they will meet?

Unfortunately my past imature actions mean that when I visit the head-fi pages, often via a google search without even realising - I am not even able to log on, as my IP has been banned.

Attending a HF meet in Australia - now thats a great idea! I wonder when and where they will meet?

Well once you get back on HF you can go to the meet section (I think it is visible when not logged in?) and we announce them in there.

Are you in Sydney? I think there is a store in Lane Cove that has the o2's...

I sure as shit wouldn't buy them in AU thou, the price is about as ridiculous as the hd800, d7000, gs/ps1000, ect.