help a speaker/ht noob

atothex

OK, so I'm trying to build a stereo system from scratch for the gf. So far, I managed to find a pair of used Maggie MG10s, but I still need a dac and amp for an htpc as source. And probably a sub, but I'll save that for later. I'm trying to shoot for 100W to 250W rms, which is what the manual says I should do. I want to keep the budget tight, as she's no audiophile; when I'm not there, they're most likely not going to play music. I'm shooting for under $700 used for the dac/amp.

I've managed to come up with a few budget ideas:

- vintage Adcom based system with maybe the 600 dac, 555 amp, and some kinda pre

- Outlaw's RR2150

- old NAD integrated plus a dac? I really don't know what to look for as far as these go...

Or should I just go for a newer HT receiver for an all-in-one solution? I can't imagine it'd sound as good as stuff that's made purely for audio, though.

An Emotiva UPA-2 is $300 new for 125watts 8 ohms and 185 4 ohms. That leaves $400 for your DAC of choice. Or you could bi-amp wih two of them and get a cheaper DAC (not a beresford). Given how much Maggies like real power behind them moar power and a cheaper DAC might will be more satisfactory than less power and moar DAC.

I thought about Emotiva, but I can't find that UPA-2 for sale right now. And can it really be better than something similarly priced but designed by Nelson Pass (80s Adcom) or John Curl (90s Parasound)? Am I putting too much into name recognition?

Man I hate power amps without volume control. :(

Oh I didn't see that level adjustment there. A very awkward way to adjust volume, though. I don't think she'd want to have to give it ye olde reacharound each time... Anyways, it looks like it's OOS at the moment.

Also, Emotiva's preamp is $400 by itself. :( Guess I'll try to Gon/ebay/CL some used stuff.

• 1 month later...