The "2006" Beyerdynamic DT990's

tkam

I got a pair a few days ago. I like them quite a bit, though I've not heard the old DT990-pro to compare. They're certainly more upfront than the HD650, though because the treble is more present, the bass doesn't sound as dominant as it does from the 650's. The greatest attribute of these headphones, I'd say is their toe-tap factor. I have noticed a real tendency to get into the music to the point where I forget to think about the sound quality. When I have thought about sound quality, I've noticed that they sound pretty balanced, even though I know the bass and treble are a bit boosted. I guess they are not boosted to the point of being a distraction. The midrange is very enjoyable and certainly doesn't sound recessed the way the midrange of the old DT770 or HD590 did. The midrange only sounds lacking if I listen to the W5000 back to back, but then again, the W5000 has better midrange than most headphones I've heard extensively.

If you're familiar with the DT880's, these sound pretty similar, save that the bass is a bunch more powerful (more like the HD650), and the midrange is more engaging, whereas the DT880 has a bit of a dry/dull/non-engaging midrange. I think they certainly play on the 650-701-880 level of performance, with a more upfront character than any of those cans. I hesitate to call them Grado-like, because the only similarity they have to Grados is PRaT/grooviness. If you've heard the DT531, these really area like a more evolved, refined, yet physical headphone that keeps the same spirit of losing one's self in the music.

Iron_Dreamer: When you talk about the dry/dull/non-engaging midrange of the 880 do you mean the old 880 or the newer 880?

Certainly the old one, which I owned. I've only briefly auditioned the new one, and it sounded a bit closer to neutral (rather than being overly dry), but I'd still say the 990 is more upfront/engaging.

The 990's finally arrived today, the leather case they come in is an improvement from earlier Beyer cases. They still have the same solid built quality that Beyer is reputed for. At first glance they look a little flimsy but that is really because of a design change that allows the eacups to pivot from side to side as well as the usual up and down. Ok so how do they sound? Well it is still very early on but I have been pleasantly surprised. They share the fantastic slamming bass of the old 990pros but it is more in balance with the rest of the spectrum. I've noticed that vocals have a greater presence and focus compared to the 990 pros. So I think it's safe to say that Beyer did a really nice job of bringing the midrange forward. I'm sure not if I can attribute this to the midrange improvement but these have the best tonality I've ever heard from Beyer phones. More to come later...

• 2 weeks later...

Few more thoughts to add now that I've had the new 990s for a bit longer. While their tonality is greatly improved compared to past Beyers it's still pretty piss poor when put up against my l3k or rs-1. I'm thinking some of the tonality issues are caused by the treble which has an unnatural sheen to it.

Few more thoughts to add now that I've had the new 990s for a bit longer. While their tonality is greatly improved compared to past Beyers it's still pretty piss poor when put up against my l3k or rs-1. I'm thinking some of the tonality issues are caused by the treble which has an unnatural sheen to it.

Since you mentioned the RS-1s, is it really superior to the RS-2s in every way? Do they have similar presentations?

• 2 months later...

C'mon folks. There is no such thing as dt990 2006. .............beyond 2003, it is 2005. Yeah, I finally got my dt990/600Ω 2005 Manufaktur.............and DO prefer them over all else (including Darthbeyers [though oft prefer Darths for Sym.]). Never a harsh, or too bright a note, and the bass has the right impact even for string-bass-miked-jazz. :dance: