Zana Duex production news.

Chrysanthemum

Possible production of new units.

I am working on Craig to do a special "limited" run of the full size Zana Duex like I have. This would be for 10 to maybe 15 "hard in the books" commitment of people. He would point to point wire each and do one at a time with the possibility of some very limited assembly line type of thing going on. This amp has to be done by him personally to be correct. A one man operation. If you are last on the list it could be some time. Price is a guess at this point anywhere from $1500 to $1800. He thought he could do them cheaper but probably can't. Disclaimer: I am not an employee or partner of any kind to Eddie Current. I make nothing on this. If you could hear this splended amp then you would know why I am making an effort to see this happen for you guys. Feed back welcome. And yes you can come to my house to hear it. Call in advance. And "no", I will not loan mine out.....Sorry. 8)

Well you could always get a KG Bamaslama built with that tube. I'm wondering how Craig got around the problems with it though... apparently it eats through tube sockets like nobodys business. I guess he found a nice socket for it. :)

I use it every single day for hours and it has been fine. Not one problem.

Guest sacd lover

I use it every single day for hours and it has been fine. Not one problem.

The problem usually shows up after an estimated year or so of use. This tube has a huge filament current draw of 6 amps and literally burns the sockets filament pins up. The only sockets for the tube to my knowledge are the cheaper Russian ones .... as they are the only ones who have produced the tube. If the socket is silver plated ala Kevin or gold plated ala Mikhail they will last a long time. If there are some premium 6c33 sockets in existance I am sure Kevin knows where to get them.

Mikey .... any news on if the amp is going to be produced. Any emails or truely interested buyers to get the required number so that he will consider production??

Wondering if something like Walker SST or Quicksilver ExtremeAV would help out on socket wear. These are silver treatments that provide a better contact at the socket (the treatment goes on the tube pins). Head would be generated when resistance at the socket was too much for current, so that current started dissipating as heat. By increasing conductivity, you can increase the efficiency of the contact, so that more current goes to the tube, and less heat is dissipated at the socket contact, at least in theory. The increased current draw would still be present, but by increasing the conductivity of the socket-tube contact, it could become less of a problem at the socket (and the tube itself should not have a problem with it in a properly built amp). Could have the same effect (or better) as starting with gold or silver plated sockets.

I responded to the tube socket issue in another post, but in a nut shell. The Zana Deux does not operate the 6C33C-B anywhere near its max rated power. In fact only about 8 watts on the plate. Even with the heater current figured in the total heat from the tube, most of which is dissapated in the air, is about 43 watts. The production ZD has the tube sockets fastened to a thick aluminum top plate which also sinks heat away. The original Xana has been in service for years and I have never seen a socket failure.

Guest sacd lover

I responded to the tube socket issue in another post, but in a nut shell. The Zana Deux does not operate the 6C33C-B anywhere near its max rated power. In fact only about 8 watts on the plate. Even with the heater current figured in the total heat from the tube, most of which is dissapated in the air, is about 43 watts. The production ZD has the tube sockets fastened to a thick aluminum top plate which also sinks heat away. The original Xana has been in service for years and I have never seen a socket failure.

I saw how you mounted the tubes on the risers for better heat dissipation .... which looked cool too. I didnt realize you had an aluminum plate fastened to the tube sockets acting as a heat sink. I also could tell the tube wasnt putting out a whole lot of heat so I knew you were running the tube easy. I know heat is the enemy of this tube and these steps certainly can help avoid heat issues. The amp certainly sounded veeerrryyy good. ;D

Thanks for clarifying my tube socket questions. Now .... not to put you on the spot ::) .... but are you going to be building anymore of these? Any idea about a potential price if you do build more?

I didnt realize you had an aluminum plate fastened to the tube sockets acting as a heat sink.

Parts Connection has the sockets in either silver plate or gold plate. SILVER SOCKET- 59026 $3.95; GOLD SOCKET- 59027 $5.95.

If you re-read his post he said that he is connecting the tube sockets DIRECTLY to a thick aluminum top plate. It is an all aluminum plate design, bead blasted and anodized, to be exact. My Zana has no aluminum in it. He also refered to the Zana as a PRODUCTION model. My Zana is a PROTOTYPE...... Hint Hint.......Stay tuned folks.

Yes following the release of the EC Down Converter this Month, I am building Five Zana Deux's. They will be built on an aluminum chassis with aluminum top and bottom plates. The power transformer will be on top, but with a matching cover. It will be flanked by two vacuum tube damper diodes. The power supply will use three low esr inductors and four paper/polyprop with soy bean oil caps. The circuit is the same as the proto otherwise. Pre production hopefully by the end of April. Price for the first, and maybe the only five will be $1790.00.

Yes following the release of the EC Down Converter this Month, I am building Five Zana Deux's. They will be built on an aluminum chassis with aluminum top and bottom plates. The power transformer will be on top, but with a matching cover. It will be flanked by two vacuum tube damper diodes. The power supply will use three low esr inductors and four paper/polyprop with soy bean oil caps. The circuit is the same as the proto otherwise. Pre production hopefully by the end of April. Price for the first, and maybe the only five will be $1790.00.
Damn, I'm sure those are going to be great amps Craig... too rich for my blood though. :(