Panasonic discontinues Technics analog turntables

archosman

This has been rumored for quite a while. Sad to see the production cease, but DJs have been moving to laptops for a while, and the audiophiles who like DD tables (a tiny niche within a tiny niche) isn't near enough to sustain production. Its such a quality product though I'm sure I'll be rocking mine for years to come.

I wonder what the hell KAB is going to do now.

This all started from a blog post from a vague email from Panasonic. The SL-1200 is not being discontinued. They are discontinuing one of their special edition SL-1200s and another turntable. This same rumor has been going around for months.

http://www.motherboard.tv/2010/10/29/once-again-panasonic-is-not-killing-off-technics-turntables-updated-with-confusion

This all started from a blog post from a vague email from Panasonic. The SL-1200 is not being discontinued. They are discontinuing one of their special edition SL-1200s and another turntable. This same rumor has been going around for months.

http://www.motherboard.tv/2010/10/29/once-again-panasonic-is-not-killing-off-technics-turntables-updated-with-confusion

ah, good news then!

while we are talking about it, it sucks the MSRP has doubled over the past few years. actually makes me consider some of these newer ~$500 belt drive models as possibly a better deal. rega rp-1, project genie, etc. hell the genie comes with a sumiko pearl and is a good looking table, all for $500.

ah, good news then!

while we are talking about it, it sucks the MSRP has doubled over the past few years. actually makes me consider some of these newer ~$500 belt drive models as possibly a better deal. rega rp-1, project genie, etc. hell the genie comes with a sumiko pearl and is a good looking table, all for $500.

I agree it's a good value for hifi under $500 (probably worth its weight in gold to DJs), especially for me since it has a button to switch between 33 and 45 rpm. Most of the cheaper belt drives make you slide the belt over on the motor which is a pain. But yeah I will dump the Technics in a heartbeat for a good idler drive.

• 3 weeks later...