iPod speaker dock

Dusty Chalk

So what was the consensus for this -- the question being, what's the best cheapest "totable" speaker dock/pair of actives/whatevs for the iPod. AudioEngine A5's? Quad 12L? Martin-Logan CLX? Bose? I guess the single thing I would miss the most is not distorting at medium volumes in the mid-field. Any 2.1 systems worth looking at that have any decent bass? I'm considering something like this or even ugly like this, but I suspect the latter of a midrange suckout (tweeters and woofers, no mids), and the former of boombox sound (doesn't go loud* enough well).

* And by loud, I don't mean party loud, I mean just normal for most other people loud.

Dude, I am all about outside the box. Will definitely give that one a more thorough investigation.

What size are you looking for?
Something I can move from one room of the house to another in one or two trips. 3 is pushing it, but could be convinced. So like the Quad 12L's and a LOD would do it, but 2 speakers, sub, LOD and amp/dock/w/subout is a bit much, unless it was an all-in-one system that hooked together such as this if it sounded good enough.