Flac Assumptions

bhjazz

I'm startin down the rippin road. I need to unload a batch of older CDs and am ripping them with EAC.

My assumptions for using flac.exe to do this are:

* There is no upsampling feature I can use with EAC (from 16/44 to 24/96)

* The flac file format should be fairly future-safe.

* I can play flac files on many DACs that I may be able to buy today.

I am also assuming that when I read about others here with a 24/96 flac file that the file was first a 24/96 WAV which was then compressed to 24/96 flac. Is that correct? (Or is there a way to do this in a batch process maybe with Adobe Audition? Probably. )

My real question is: are my assumptions correct?

Thanks.

Brian

Edited by bhjazz

Every lossless file that I have is FLAC. It is as future-proof as it gets. Besides, if it does go by the wayside in the distant future, there will be batch converters that will perfectly convert them pain free. Since it is all lossless, the log files are still valid, and all you have to do is change the file extension in the .cue files with notepad for them to be good as well. There might be batch converters for this as well, but I am not aware of any.

If you upsample the FLAC itself, you have ruined the file as far as I'm concerned. Do what you want to it on the fly, but the point of archiving CDs in FLAC is to have perfect copies on your hard drive. Use SOX and foobar and upsample all you want, but leave the actual file alone.