New Nine Inch Nails album April 17

deepak

All taken from another forum I frequent:

All from Reznor's blog (access for paying subscribers):

Posted on [12_13_2006] by trentreznor

Is it possible I am actually finished writing and recording a new nine inch nails record? Apparently so. We begin mixing in January!

Juggling fifteen all-new tracks around. Testing sequences. No leftovers from "with teeth". Highly conceptual. Quite noisy. Fucking cool.

01/10/07 : new record info

nine inch nails: year zero

coming april 2007.

it could be about the end of the world.

01/11/07 : that's what i get

While mixing, I spend most of my time NOT in the control room to allow myself some objectivity when it comes time to listen to the progress of a track. During that time, I'm working on the new set list, tour production, thinking about tracks that aren't being mixed yet, working on a few things NIN related I can't tell you about yet, finishing Saul's record, and occasionally checking in on you people online.

Let me clear a few things up so some of you don't kill yourselves (or maybe you now will). This is not a fucking hip hop record for fuck's sake. I imagine my referring to old Public Enemy records as an influence and the fact I'm working with Saul sparked that. To clarify what I meant by being influenced by Public Enemy: Hank Shocklee's Bomb Squad had a unique and highly influential way of constructing tracks - layers of samples and loops that combined together to form something chaotic and new. Do not expect Flavor Flav to appear here.

While we're at it, I wouldn't consider Saul's record to be labeled hip hop either. Certainly there is an influence there but his record reaches far beyond the confines of what I consider a dying genre.

As far as the sound and content of my new record, you'll see and hear soon enough. I am certain some of you will HATE it. I am also certain some of you will find it the best thing I've ever done. It is different in a number of ways and it is who I am now.

I am creating right now and I do not care what the record label or marketing people think about what I'm doing. In also do not care what the public think about what I;m doing. I certainly appreciate your patronage - and I HOPE you will get and enjoy what I'm working on, but I will not patronize you or pander to what you want. I will assure you I am pouring every ounce of my life, heart and soul into this and it will be the best work I am capable of - and that's all I can do.

Current Mood:

Confused

Currently Listening to:

lots of whining

02/05/07 : AND THAT IS THAT.

I am sitting at mastering, which means "year zero" is finished!

Current Mood: Happy

And the website released:

http://yearzero.nin.com/

New album is called Year Zero.

O0:dance:O0:dance:^-^

Huzzah -- thanks for posting that. Trent is my hero. How can you not love an attitude like that -- "I do what I want, I hope you like it, but will not pander..." That's exactly what being a musician is about. You do what you want (like we have a choice), and instead of trying to pander to a larger audience, you just try to find the people that will want to hear it instead.

I've heard a lot of music with hip-hop influence (Kenna comes to mind), but that thing about layers and loops doesn't bode well...but I'm sure, coming from him, it will be fine.

This will be his fastest record since With Teeth -- he's really on a roll.

Latest blog entry from Trent:

02/05/07 : A GOOD EVENING

I've come to appreciate the fleeting times in life where one can feel truly satisfied and at peace. For me, listening back to your finished record for the first time is one of those moments. I've just had that experience and I feel good. REALLY good! I am excited and proud and I can't wait for you guys to see and hear what's coming...

Current Mood: Excited

The track list:

01. hyperpower!

02. the beginning of the end

03. survivalism

04. the good soldier

05. vessel

06. me, i'm not

07. capital g

08. my violent heart

09. the warning

10. god given

11. meet your master

12. the greater good

13. the great destroyer

14. another version of the truth

15. in this twilight

16. zero-sum

• 1 month later...

Since people probably don't read the what your're listening to thread, here are my impressions of the album:

I'm only half way through the album but it's damn good.

The album is loud and noisy and most of the tracks sound closer to something off TDS or maybe The Fragile.

All in all I am extremely impressed I hated With Teeth.

edit: oh yes the production work is really nice, on par with The Fragile.

Now on second listen of Year Zero.

I still think it's better than With Teeth by a long shot. But I prefer TDS, The Fragile, Broken and Pretty Hate Machine.

There are a few tracks that sound like With Teeth B-sides.

favorite tracks: The Great Destroyer (sounds like it's straight from The Fragile) and Zero Sum

side note: HYPERPOWER! is probably my favorite opening track to a NIN album, sounds like a futuristic death march theme from the Command and Conquerer games

And another box art:

frontiy9.jpg

• 1 month later...