Monitors

Finally time to replace my 24" Samsung 245BW. I believe I've had it for almost 8 years. A great monitor, a real classic TN, but it's really starting to hurt my eyes, and the colors look terrible.

After, no kidding, years of research, I settled on the HP 27xi:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B332A9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405638993&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+27xi

312189-hp-pavilion-27xi-angle.jpg

Why the 27xi:

-GLOSSY! So hard to find a glossy monitor. I know a lot of people hate glossy monitors, but my office at home has thick curtains, no worries about glare. And glossy monitors are so much easier on my eyes.

-Regular ole' 1080. I don't need no fancy resolution.

-Its bigger. Never had a 27" monitor.

-Great reviews all around.

• Like 1

Had to move the 1920x1200 to the work laptop, so I pulled out the LG 2560x1080 for the personal laptop -- this thing is nice!  It's the little little brother of the "I'm done with 4K" ultrawide monitor (the regular little brother is the 34UM65, which is 2560x1080 @ 34", whereas mine is 2560x1080 @ 29"), the pixel pitch must be pretty damn high.  I'll definitely be lusting after the 34UM65 for a while.

I have definitely swung over to Dan's advice back when I first shopped the 2560 monitor many years ago (he recommended I get several 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 instead of one 2560x1600).

...with a caveat -- laptops usually only have one of certain ports (HDMI, DisplayPort), so maybe for a laptop "extension" screen -- one big one.  Unless one very carefully selects one with a very capable docking station.