Monitors

Because of neck stiffness, I am thinking of switching from 2x 20" Apple cinema displays to a single 27" display (for the office).  Given that Apple's 27" is glossy and expensive, I started looking at the Dell 27" U2713HM.   Is there anything else that is a lot better in that price range?  I will be using it with a Mac.  

Not better, but similar and cheaper there is the ASUS PB278Q.  I like my U2713H and U2713HM, though had to do two RMAs, which is why I have the H instead of two HMs.  The first had a line of intermittent pixels, and the second had very excessive backlight bleed.

I just picked up an Asus PA248Q (24", 1920x1200) for $330, and it's usually cheaper.  I'm very happy with it (after just a couple hours, though), plus it came with every possible necessary cable.  I'll check on how glossy it is when I get home.  Haven't set up the other one yet.  I have definitely swung over to Dan's advice back when I first shopped the 2560 monitor many years ago (he recommended I get several 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 instead of one 2560x1600).

The monitor that just died was one of the precursors to the U2713HM, the 3008WFP?.  It had a very nice stand, as opposed to this cheap piece of shit that I'm looking at now (Auria) -- which is...fine for the price I paid.  In fact, I may steal the stand off of that one and put it on this one for now.  My point is, you may want to get a good look at the stand it comes with -- a lot of those are interchangeable.

And I'm sorry, but I have zero experience with the Apple Cinema monitors, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I'll look into the Asus as well, thanks.  I like that the height of the monitor is adjustable on the Dell (and it seems to be on the Asus as well).  

I do like having two monitors but don't like neck pain (I like to have one of the monitors directly in front of me which puts the other one to the side).  Right now I am just using a single 20" monitor...

Yeah, the Auria was about the price of that Asus PB278Q, without an adjustable stand, so much better deal.  The screen's fine, but the stand is cheap one-piece plastic, and I don't think it came with any of the cables other than the VGA ("really?").

PS  I have mine connected to my laptop here at work, so I'm sitting in front of the laptop keyboard, but looking at the monitor.  You just inspired me (so as not to get neck pain) to move it to a box behind the laptop so that both screens are in front of me, one above the other, rather than have my head turned to one side all the time.  So thanks for that.

That said, it sounds like you are the target market for one big one.

EDIT:  Camelcamelcamel says it's been as low as $390, but more like $470 or $480.  (Same product, different Amazon page, therefore different camelcamelcamel tracking page.)

They are bigger and more expensive, but I can't say enough about the 30" Korean Monitor I bought from one of the ebay sellers. 2560x1600 is very nice for having two documents open at the same time. Also the size difference between the 30" and the 27"ers is quite noticeable.

I just swapped a 20" display for hubby's second display (Dell 2407WFPHC).  The picture is nice and the size is plenty big.  However, the display is just slightly crooked (about 5mm higher on the left than the right) which is annoying the heck out of me.  My guess is because hubby has been using it "sideways" or maybe it was this way to begin with.  Now, this makes me worry about buying display that can tilt sideways...

All of the monitors I have had which can rotate exhibit this, and I never use them rotated.

Ugh :(

That's adjustable on some monitors.  I think it's called skew or something.  (Not RGB skew, though.)

The problem is that I can see that the monitor is crooked even with no picture on the screen.  I'll try it for a while and see how much it drives me crazy.  I might just go back to my single level 20" monitor for now though.   

A quick search on google gave this.  I'll try it at some point. 

"Figured this one out.  I had the same problem with the crooked monitor.  It is apparently just an oversight that probably would not be noticed on an assembly line since the stands have the ability for some "play" when being assembled.

1) Remove the stand from the monitor.
2) Remove the four screws in a plus shape in the center of the stand (around the ring) - they have washers behind them.
3) Remove the plate and reposition plate slightly counterclockwise
4) Securely replace screws
5) Reattach stand to monitor

Monitor is now level in landscape mode.  Total time to fix: 2 minutes.

Now, I have been waiting on hold to let Dell know NOT to send me a replacement monitor...trying to save them a few bucks.  If there is a simpler way to help them in the future I'd appreciate that information..."

My Dell never buzzed -- if it's still in warranty, complain. They don't fix it, they just replace it. And if you want to "upgrade", they might even be amenable towards putting the cost of the one you have towards the next one.

In my experience, Dell replaces with refurbished units.  Granted this was several years ago so I don't know what they do now but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a refurb replacement.