DIY Home Security

crappyjones123

Julie and the girls just moved into an apartment and I'd feel a lot safer if the apartment had some sort of security system. The ADT type subscription services seem less expensive per month but start to add up over a bit of time. Has anyone set up a system themselves or has suggestions for a diy system? 2 bedroom with windows, a living room door and a main door need to be covered essentially. I am thinking buying a cheap netbook and throwing a couple of tb drives in an enclosure and connecting them to some cameras. However, if there is a break in, I don't see why someone would leave the netbook behind. Cloud based services all require subscriptions at which point we might as well get something like ADT. Anything with a key pad entry and an loud alarm would be nice as well. She doesn't have anything of value other than perhaps her macbook air but it is more for their safety and my peace of mind. The new neighborhood is good but it's a bit removed from the gated town home community she moved out of recently. 

We found a local dealer (Southern NH) who beat ADT's monthly rates by more than 1/2.  They had a cost to install devices (where ADT will sometimes offer free or discounted installation), but it wasn't outrageous, and those devices were also built better than some of the cheaper plastic ADT devices as well.

What I DID like about ADT is the extra services they provide (remote access and monitoring) that this local company doesn't.  But as Chris mentions, you can do some things on your own.

Oh, and the monitoring company kicks ass too.  I've heard stories from 3 different ADT users that they get the check-in call after setting off an alarm accidentally.  Multiple times, it took almost 5 minutes to get the call.  Our guys, almost always 30 seconds or less.

Edited by skullguise

• 1 month later...

Front Point Security.  Completely wireless system, upfront pricing.  You do your own install, they help you ensure it is all connected.  They also have a cool mobile app so I can turn on the lights, etc, while away, check the alarm status, etc.  I thought their pricing was pretty decent.