Boltz CD Rack

postjack

I ordered the Boltz CD-600 a couple of weeks ago. A part was back ordered, so it didn't ship until this week, but when it finally did ship, it was only in transit for two days. Assembly was a breeze, just lots of repetition, but I always feel great after I put something like this together. ;) I also have a box with an adjustable incline writing desk sitting in another room ready to be assembled. I'm puttin' shit together, cos I'm on vacation this week, y'all. Respect.

Sorry, no step by step building shots. Just know that there is a lot of screwing hex nuts and acorn nuts on long skinny poles.

Assembled:

boltz001hz3.jpg

Alphabetizing albums:

boltz005zz7.jpg

All done:

boltz009uq6.jpg

I got the anthracite metallic finish. Much better pictures of the different finishes can be found at www.boltz.com.

As for value: when I first started looking for some kind of simple CD shelf, I was surprised at the insanely high prices a lot of places charge. So when I found this rack, with a 600 CD capacity, as well as the ability to expand if more space is needed, for just north of $200, I decided to go with Boltz. Right now I am pleased with my purchase. The rack is sturdy, substantial, and doesn't sway or rock. The slider "bookends" are great. The surface of the rack is smooth and pleasing to the touch. CD cases slide on nicely and stay where they are put (unless they get loose and rock to the side, then they go a-tumbling to the ground. Thus its best to use the sliders to keep them upright). The CDs are on a gentle enough angle to make looking for and picking out an album easy. The best part is CDs aren't covering my desk and floor anymore.

My buddy had one of their products for awhile. I went to remove a cd from it one day and it swayed left to right. I asked if he ever thought about the famous nail polish trick to prevent such...

"what?"

was his response. hope you either of done it or are planning on it soon.

nice rack...haha

My buddy had one of their products for awhile. I went to remove a cd from it one day and it swayed left to right. I asked if he ever thought about the famous nail polish trick to prevent such...

"what?"

was his response. hope you either of done it or are planning on it soon.

nice rack...haha

Not sure what the famous nail polish trick is.

Not sure what the famous nail polish trick is.

put nail polish on the threads where the poles and nuts together then screw them into each other..you shouldnt see it and you can wipe off any that you do

you can break the seal anytime easily if you wanted to but vibrartion itself won't.

I think there is something called lock tight also which is just the same and cost more, go to your local grocery store and pick up some clear cheap nail polish..

the fucker will never come loose on its own.

• 2 months later...

Received the expansion kit yesterday, installed it this afternoon.

boltzlpbox004rq5.jpg

boltzlpbox005us5.jpg

boltzlpbox006ok1.jpg

boltzlpbox007kd5.jpg

I also moved the rack into the adjoining room so that it would rest on a hard wood floor instead of a carpet. This was a good move, the rack is much more stable. This could also be due to the installation of the expansion kit.

Installation was again pretty simple. I've read about other folks pulling their hair out trying to set these things up, but to me its very easy and calming, almost meditative. I see how it could be tedious for someone who hates putting things together, but come on, building things is fun. :)

The metal Boltz look doesn't really jive with the rest of the stuff in my bedroom and office/listening room, which is all dark wood, but functionality and ease of use is high. And its definitely more attractive then my LP storage solution:

boltzlpbox008an1.jpg

;)

I see you're a big Depeche Mode fan -- huzzah.

Its kind of hard for me to pick a favorite band anymore, but if I based this choice purely on the amount of music I own by a certain band, Depeche Mode would win. All the singles boxes, most of the albums on redbook, all of the albums on sacd plus the last two on preorder, a few of the full length albums on vinyl, and even more singles on vinyl. I just never seem to get tired of them.