Audio Technica - AT440MLa

postjack

I have heard good things about Denon carts, but they are MC if I'm reading that article correctly, and my phono stage is strictly MM. I'm looking for a cart with a higher output then the Stanton, and I think 440MLa fits the bill.

I'll probably go ahead and order a 440MLa from the needle doctor and report back.

• 4 weeks later...

I chickened out on the new vinyl rig. The potential impending failure of my digital source, amongst other things, made me realize its time to cool out on the major source purchases for a bit. So it looks like I'll be getting one of these carts after all to replace the Stanton. I'll make this sl1200 sing yet, damn it.

Initial cart impressions: MUCH livelier then the KAB Stanton Groovemaster! Which is exactly what I was going for. The Groovemaster seriously lacks in the treble sparkle. The AT440 has loads of sparkle, to the point of approaching shiny sibilance, but it doesn't quite hit that point. Its actually quite pleasant. Midrange can come off as a bit tipped up and fakish, most noticeable with male vocals, but its still smooth and wonderful. Bass is in control, but can feel a little large sometimes. Midbass has nice punch. Attack and decay & imaging are magnificent, but I think that is just a product of vinyl. Pretty big soundstage, but again thats probably just the medium.

Vinyl is such a magnificent pain in the ass. I have spent a good 25% of my "listening time" tonight fucking with the cart in the technics overhang gauge, holding up little pieces of paper and knives to it to make sure it is all aligned perfectly. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the whole vinyl thing is just a dirty trick the Universal Force is playing on neurotic OCD audiophiles.