here is a suggestion

postjack

I'll show her this post. :)

Unfortunately, she also loves pugs. :D

I hear they tend to have health issues though?

I didn't pick the Pug. I found it when it was a pup. :-\

My wife is a major dog person. Before I met her I... (well let's just say she converted me with this little Pug's help and his sweet disposition). Within a week I fell for the puppy Pug and we had to move a month later because we weren't allow to have a dog. He's got as do most Pugs a lot of personality and character in a small package. Though, he's not on the small size considering he's a Pug. So shedding is more of an issue, which I hate as well as he getz stinky rather quickly. Oh, and he's very picky when it comes to food. And a very in your face, needy type dog. With that being said, he's very smart, a big love, low-maintenance and well-behaved. Most pure breeds have health issues some more than others. I've not had one of the common health issues with Bugsey--knock on wood. He's very healthy and active for his age, but he has been eating our homemade real food (chicken or beef and pork with rice or barley or oatmeal and veggies sometimes even fruit) since about 1 years old. And we didn't get him fixed either.

If I had to pick another dog right now, I'd look more at the Irish Terrier.

But probably my wife would like a Bichon Frise, but they are high-maintenance.

Well, I just showed the Wife your posts and I'm pretty sure she is still in Pom mode... :D

They're beautiful little dogs especially when puppies and certainly my experience with the breed is not indicative of how your experience might go.

It's best to make an informed decision. ;)